powered by Jive Software

Sparks' lost it spark

Ok,

With so many problems with spark, our user base has lost total confidence in jabber here.

none of the fixes seem to work, so it looks like we will be moving away from the spark client back to the old one. Its ashame as we were looking forward to using SSO (primary reason to move)

So the final list of problems, here are things that we just cant fix,

1. Spark sends duplicate messages (broadcasts and normal messges) 6 or 7 of the same message is common

2. If you type a message in the compose box, hitting return doesn’t make it appear in the top history window (history on/off in prefs dont change this)

3. windows dont flash when a message is recieved, again all setting checked nothing out of the ordinary

4. Cant group offline users in the broadcast window (nightmare to then send a message to include users off line)

5. Broadcast messages to offline users never arrive (a singula im to that user does andcan be read on next login)

6. Spark gradualy consumes RAM, dependant on how many messages/tabs are opened 15-20 tabs= 220MB ram average This ram doesnt release until the machine is rebooted, exiting spark doenst release the ram

Tested with v 2.5.6 & 2.5.7 same results.

for those that made suggestions, thanks for you help, We are staying with openfire as thats been great (although confidence is dented a little) WIll keep an eye on spark and may try it again one day. SSO would have bee nnice.

Sorry if its a bit of a rant, all the points are in other questions ive raised, just htought to put it in one place in case other users find this behaviour,

wookey

Hi awookey,

Sorry for the issues you are having :(. I am in the process of fixing the offline and broadcasting issues for 2.5.8, but for one reason or other, the errors are happening with OSX. What OS are you guys using?

Thanks,

Derek

Hi,

did you use the MSI or the EXE install? I wonder if MSI causes some memory problems.

LG

the 2.5.5 2.5.6 msi installers didnt work, but in our test environment we tried them all, our ‘production’ one was the exe with the jre included.

Hi awookey,

Sorry for the issues you are having :(.

I am in the process of fixing the offline and broadcasting issues for

2.5.8, but for one reason or other, the errors are happening with OSX.

What OS are you guys using?

Thanks,

Derek

We’re using Xp here and seeing the same problem,

I have just got to make this discission to switch away to another jabber client as confidence in the service is very low, this has a habit of propergating to other services should we suffer any down time in the intrim.

We just now have to test a new client well as our previous client didnt do ntlm/sso and wasnt easily portable via roaming profiles. Convincing a unwelcoming crown to use a new client and build confidence isnt a fun prospect! ooh well

awookey wrote:

1. Spark sends duplicate messages (broadcasts and normal messges) 6 or 7 of the same message is common

To me ot’s only happening when a chat windwow is already opened with a broadcasting person. Never seen such behaviour with normal messaging.

1. If you type a message in the compose box, hitting return doesn’t make it appear in the top history window (history on/off in prefs dont change this)

Never had such problem.

1. windows dont flash when a message is recieved, again all setting checked nothing out of the ordinary

Mine is flashing. I mean main chat window in the taskbar is flashing. Every tab’s text becomes red when there is a new message in it. It shouldnt flash by design i think.

1. Cant group offline users in the broadcast window (nightmare to then send a message to include users off line)

Probably will be addressed soon.

1. Broadcast messages to offline users never arrive (a singula im to that user does andcan be read on next login)

Works for me. I have few times accidentically send some broadcast from Spark to ALL (and offline) users and i have seen that messages when i was logging in to offline users’ computers. But they are using Exodus. So i would have to test that Spark is getting a broadcast if it was offline.

1. Spark gradualy consumes RAM, dependant on how many messages/tabs are opened 15-20 tabs= 220MB ram average This ram doesnt release until the machine is rebooted, exiting spark doenst release the ram

i dont even watch how much RAM it consumes, i know it’s java, so it will consume much, but the more annoying problem is that it gets slow very often, it’s slow to get roster up if it was idle for some time, some times chat window doesnt react at all until you click on the roster.

so, finalizing, i’m seeing that some issues are not happeing to me, so it could be your environment/installation specific.

For number three, the answer is here, http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/28588

i have filled bug report thread, Spark is not getting offline broadcasts indeed http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29299