Sporadic failure to log on (Spark 2.5.1 to Openfire 3.3.0)

I am currently experiencing a very frustrating problem with Spark logging on to Openfire.

When I start up my PC in the morning and start up Spark, I can (usually) log on to Openfire with no problems.

However, at some point during the day (and this has been EVERY day so far), y Spark client gets disconnected and from that point on will completely refuse to log back on. I get the “Invalid username or password” error whenever I try. Usualy, the next morning, I can get back on again.

Checking the Openfire server shows that it’‘s still up and running and other users are still logged on (makes me suspect that it’‘s not simply thye server shutting down). Furthermore, other users report the same issue (although it doesn’'t always happen to them at the same time that it happens to me !!)

Now, I think Spark is just great, but this issue is causing me serious problems (and making my hair fall out).

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Does anyone ahve any idea where I can start to look for a solution ?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

I have the same problem. However, I hope I’‘ve found a likely culprit; the IM Gateway. Are you using it? If you are, check the file size of the jar file. If it’‘s more than 1MB then you’'ve got a pre-release version and you should update (or is that downgrade) it.

Failing that, are you using LDAP? I’'ve enabled debugging and can see LDAP errors (and our network logging shows terminated IP sessions to our LDAP servers). Could be a bug in Openfire…

Hi DeeJay,

Thanks for the response. Checking my IM Gateway jar file (in the plugins directory) I see that the file size is given as 1746854 - looks like it’'s bigger than 1Mb to me.

I don’'t use LDAP in my system.

I’'ll try updating the IM Gateway jar and let you know if it helps.

Jim

That’'s definately the wrong plug-in (accidentally released).

Mine lasted the night last night, which is a first for about a week!

D

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I thought that was it - it stayed up for ages today, but when I had a temporary “glitch” in my internet connection, it wouldn’'t re-connect.

I wonder if there’'s something that needs to be reset when a connection is lost from openfire ?

Anyone have any other ideas to sort out this frustrating problem ?

Jim

Aaaarggghhhh !!

I am still getting the dreaded “invalid username or password” problem when trying to log on to Openfire from Spark.

Can anyone tell me where I can start looking for debug information so I can find out what’'s happening here and why I am unable to connect to our Openfire server ?

Jim

Firstly, check the error logs (admin page or in the logs folder under Openfire).

Failing that, enable debugging (in the web interface).

Ok - I cleared my log files using the Admin interface and then tried to connect my Spark client to openfire.

Result - NOTHING was added to the log files !!

Soooooo…I stopped and started the openfire process again and had a wee look…

I see the following:

2007.04.29 15:55:44 org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.FileTransferProxy.initialize(FileTr ansferProxy.java:176) Couldn’'t discover local host

java.net.UnknownHostException: asterisk1.local: asterisk1.local

at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(Unknown Source)

It looks like my hostname (set up by trixbox) is not what I thought it was !! Could this be the problem ?

If I change it to myhostname.net will it then cause my trixbox installation to cease functioning ???

Well…only one way to find out, I suppose ! Will post results here for any interested parties.

right…after changing hostname and restarting, I did not see the previous error. Great !!

However, clearing the logs and then attempting to log in using Spark gave me…NOTHING in the log files at all !!

How on earth can I debug the problem if there’'s no debug messages ???

I have debug enabled in the openfire.xml file and I see debug messages when I start openfire.

Really confused now.

Jim

Spark has logs too. Have you taken a look at those when your login fails?

Also, have you ruled Spark out as been the problem? When you can’‘t login to Openfire with Spark, it’'s worth checking with another client to rule out a Spark bug,

As for you debug log being empty - that may not be a problem. Mine is pretty verbose, but I use LDAP for authentication so see logs of LDAP logs. Perhaps it’'s worth waiting for the failure, then checking the logs?

Cheers DeeJay.

However, I have only seen one log file in my Windows Spark directory - an error.log file which contains the following:

Connection failed. No response from server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.startup(PacketReader.java:164)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.initConnection(XMPPConnection.java:875)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:834)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:1276)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:638)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:178)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:535)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This suggests to me that the server is the root of the problem. Also, when I change the server name in the Spark client to a non-existent servername, I get the expected “unknown host” errors.

As for other clients, I have tried Pandion and Psi (both of which can apparently be used with Openfire) and I was not able to connect with them either.

Furthermore, the problem is fairly easy to reproduce (when it happens, it remains impossible to connect for some time) and I checked the logs immediately after the first and following failures - same result…nothing in the log files.

Is there some way to monitor the messages from Spark (other than ethereal/wireshark which shows nothing I can use in debugging) ?

I am led to the conclusion that the problem lies with Openfire somewhere. Unfortunately, I am at something of a loss where to look now

Jim

Message was edited by: jmciver

Message was edited by: jmciver

Right…that’‘s it !! I’'ve warned you !!

Bizarrely enough, it’'s all working again. I removed my account from Openfire and then configured Pandion to sign me in as a new user. This worked and Pandion connected with no problems.

Encouraged by this, I tried with Psi again and lo and behold was logged in with no problems.

“Aha”, I thought…So it must be the Spark client. I fired up my Spark client and…

…it logged me in with no problem !

Ok. So…we’'ll see how long it lasts. Stay tuned for more madness.

I am now becoming deeply disillusioned with all this.

Same problem re-occurred today. I was disconnected “due to an error” and since then have been unable to reconnect.

I see nothing in the openfire logs at all. Spark logs indicate “Connection failed. No response from Server”

However, other people seem to be experiencing no trouble connecting to tha same server.

I’'m really stumped now and open to suggestions.

Jim

I am encountering the same problem. My installation is different but I think we can say that it probably is not anything with Trixbox due to the fact that I am getting the exact same error and I do not have any VoIP at all. The only difference is each time this happens I go into the server and reset my password. I really do not know what is causing it either but it started right after I did the upgrade to 3.3.0. I am the only person using my server that is not using spark. I have been using Gaim due to convenience (preinstalled on my ubuntu). Suddenly it started doing this stuff with bad authentication and exactly what you described. I have no external database, actually nothing external. Just a couple of plugins, including IM gateway. I did preform the downgrade mentioned but I have not had time to see if the same error occurs. I wonder if we are the only people getting this error. Is there any chance that this could be a bug in the actually code? Or could it have be related to the JVM we use. I am still using 1.6.0 which is older than the 1.6.1. Could that have an effect?

I really don’'t know. All I know is I am having the same type errors.

It really is most odd.

This morning I was able to connect Spark immediately with no trouble at all.

I’‘m beginning to wonder if there’'s a different reason completely for this problem…something completely unrelated to Spark OR to Openfire.

I will take a note of the TIME that this happens today (see how confident I am becoming in this happening again today ?) and see if a pattern emerges.

Jim

I have been thinking, It has been pretty consistant on my server to. Do you use a program that syncronizes the time to a internet standered on your server. Or something that runs once or more daily set up like a crontab job?

When you checked the logs, did you check the warn logs? I just reset the logs and I was forunate to hit it right before the problem began again. I saw something like this in the warn logs…

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:62)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:200)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :266)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:326)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

2007.05.01 18:54:13 SaslException

javax.security.sasl.SaslException: DIGEST-MD5 must not have an initial response

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.evaluateResponse(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication.handle(SASLAuthentication.java :225)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:141)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:703)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:362)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:54)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:800)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:62)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:200)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :266)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:326)

2007.05.01 18:54:28 SaslException

javax.security.sasl.SaslException: DIGEST-MD5 must not have an initial response

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.evaluateResponse(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication.handle(SASLAuthentication.java :225)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:141)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:703)

I am not sure exacly what it all means, I am not a programmer.

Just a thought. How it works without IM Gateway plugin?

I have a very similar issue going on as well only it’‘s only happening to 2 users so far. We’'re using a proxy (Facetime) and when I by pass the proxy for the two clients and go straight to the Openfire server they auth just fine.

Env. Info

Spark 2.5.2

Openfire 3.3.1

LDAP auth

Spark logs immediately after auth failure

stream:error (conflict)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:306)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:44)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:76)

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.bindResourceAndEstablishSession(SASLA uthentication.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticate(SASLAuthentication.java: 210)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.login(XMPPConnection.java:341)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:644)

stream:error (conflict)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:306)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:44)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:76)

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.bindResourceAndEstablishSession(SASLA uthentication.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticate(SASLAuthentication.java: 210)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.login(XMPPConnection.java:341)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:644)

Thoughts?

For some reason I have stoped having failures. I updated from 3.3.0 to 3.3.1 adn I replaced a device that was dropping connections and I reworked several things on the server. I made so many changes that I really dont know what fixed it. I thought it was something with dropped connections on my wireless, but I just dont know now. I havent had any problems since the update.

Good Luck