SQL sa account lockout

Hello!

Following our annual IT Security Audit, all our SQL “SA” accounts were locked out (I’m assuming caused by the vulnerability scans). I have unlocked the sa account (and given a new password) associated with my Spark instance of SQL Express 2008 but I get the following error when I try and start the Openfire server. I’m assuming its because the password has changed. Any suggestions?

Database setup or configuration error: PleEsareorvr r isftyer tayour aidantagbes h t seeesvtetri.n grPlessa cenha edhcccke kt hht eelg sl/ogeo irferl osof.rrlog fie lofmeo r rifdnreoatmitioaeln

d.

error messages.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ‘sa’.

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:734)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:448)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:169)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:105)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:56)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ‘sa’.

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:156)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:724)

… 16 more

Server halted

What that does say? I don’t recognize the language:

PleEsareorvr r isftyer tayour aidantagbes h t seeesvtetri.n grPlessa cenha edhcccke kt hht eelg sl/ogeo irferl osof.rrlog fie lofmeo r rifdnreoatmitioaeln

d.

It appears that your database connection does not / no longer accept connections from Openfire. This can have many causes, most of which have little to do with Openfire.

If you changed the credentials of the database user that Openfire tries to use to connect to your database, you should update the credentials in Openfire too. The easiest way to do that is by re-running the Openfire setup. Before you do, make sure that you create proper backups of everything! To re-run the setup, shut down Openfire, and remove from openfire.conf these lines:

<setup>true</setup>

Save the file, and restart Openfire. When you visit the Admin Console, you’ll get the opportunity to setup Openfire again.