Standards complaint?

Hi,

I heard that the XIFF API uses a non-standard method to interest with the Jabber server (that’'s why you need to compile something extra for Jabberd2). My question now is: are there plans to make the XIFF API standards complaint so that it can be used on any server without the need to do nasty hacks?

(Sorry to complain if this was just a rumour that isn’'t true.)

Hi, the issue is not the XIFF API - the issue is in the Flash player itself. The XMLSocket functionality built into the player has the limitation such that it’‘s not really set up for streaming XML, only datagram XML. There’'s no way around this unless Macromedia/Adobe changes the functionality in a future version of the player.

And isn’'t it possible to work around this by using some kind of proxy between the Jabber server and the Flash client?

The workaround for Flash support in Jive Messenger is probably only 20 lines of code. It’'s not an ideal situation, but also not a huge burden for server implementors to support this.

-Matt

A proxy is a possible solution, but AFAIK no such proxy exists currently. It’'s easier to just use a server that supports Flash sockets IMHO.

The workaround for Flash support in Jive Messenger is

probably only 20 lines of code. It’'s not an ideal

situation, but also not a huge burden for server

implementors to support this.

The problem is that there are servers that won’'t support non-standard things (which is good I think as it brings pressure to persons that write non-standard things to make them compliant), and others will not support it by default (which is an important usability drawback).

Not by default (maybe more; I don’'t know about all servers):

Jabberd2

Probably never (maybe more; I don’'t know about all servers):

• Tigase

• ejabberd

• Ambriosa

• xmppd.py

So for these servers a proxy (included in the XIFF package and with automagic setup) would be a good idea I think.

I just found a proxy, so if you are interested:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~henoch/text/FlashClientProxy.html