Strange error log

Hi, I’m getting this error in the Error Log, have any idea what could that be?

2008.07.21 15:24:17 org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSessi on(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:259) Error trying to connect to remote server: casarini(DNS lookup: casarini:5269) java.net.UnknownHostException: casarini at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source) at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source) at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source) at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:254) at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:144) at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:215) at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:194) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

BTW, “casarini” is a surname, why would it try to connect to it?

Thanks,

Joaquin

It possible that one of your users tried to add a user “casarini” or “something.casarini” instead of an correct JabberID like “casarini@example.tld”. The server interpreted it as a component name (e.g. an external transport) and tried to connect to it, which could obviously not work.

Actually, I’m the user. I created a user called “openfire” in my AD for testing, when this user adds "jcasarini@mydoamin.com" (“mydomain.com” is the server name, no the host’s name") PSI creates a transport called casarini… I have no idea why…

I’m having problems adding users, what would be the correct JID: "username@mydomain.com" or "username@hostname.mydomain.com"?

Thanks,

Joaquin

I’m having problems adding users, what would be the correct JID: “username@mydomain.com” or “username@hostname.mydomain.com”?

username@mydomain.com” would be correct, but you will need manually specify the host in your client. In Psi you can do that here:

Account Properties → Connection → Host / Port

If hostname and server name differ, this can also lead to s2s problems, because a remote server will try to connect to “mydomain.com” not to “hostname.mydomain.com”.

However, I think you can use DNS SRV records to solve this problem.

Ok, I think I know how to reproduce the error.

Aparently, when in the LDAP config of openfire, if i set anything in the “nickname” field (i had ser , as showed nothing at all). I need to set this field in order to PSI to resolve the name, but if i do it, it somehow get’s the sn field and tryies to add it as Agent/transport in the roster.

I don´t know what else to do here, I’ll just instruct the users to manually type the name of the person they are adding to the roster.

Thanks CoolCat for your help.

Joaquin