Strange Presence (Bug?) together with Group Sharing

Hello!

The following happens with current Spark 2.5.8 and OF 3.4.3.

User “Support1” is part of Group “Support” and this group is shared to ALL.

User TIM sees “Support1” in his roster (due to shared to ALL) and starts a chat.

Support1 gets a chat window and they chat along nicely BUT in the title bar of this window the presence “light” is OFF, i.e. TIm is reported as OFFLINE!

However the existence of an ongoing chat as well as the admin gui shows TIM as being online.

-> So it comes down to: “Why does Support1 does not see the Presence of TIM??”

P.S. Support1 and TIM are at two different LAN-interfaces as the OF-server is dual homed.

Bye

Starry

Hello!

Ping! :_| I feel sooo ignored, isnt there anybody at least reading this?

Bye

Starry

I’m reading this

Tim is not in Support1 roster, so probably that’s because he is showing as offline. Dont know what to suggest.

What do you mean it is dual homed? Do you mean it has 2 different NIC and 2 different Domain names? If that is the case that would explain the problem. Openfire only truely supports 1 FQDN for the server. I has nothing to do with sharing, I don’t think as I share 10+ groups and I am only a member of 2 of them. We do not have this issue. Are you running the subscription plugin? I am and have it set to accept all subscription requests.

Tim is not in Support1 roster, so probably that’s because he is showing as offline. Dont know what to suggest.

Very true indeed, but since Tim and Support1 are chatting, the shown presence is wrong nevertheless! Maybe we should not show a presence at all before showing the wrong one…

However, I am almost sure it is the same even when Tim would be in Support1’s roster! See post below.!

By

Starry

Hello!

Yes, TWO NIC and TWO DNS-Servers but the same FQDN. Hostname is chat.domain.com.

DNS on the inner side responds with 192.168.x.y when being asked for this very host, but queries from the Internet will get the official IP.

Bye

Starry

starry99 wrote:

Very true indeed, but since Tim and Support1 are chatting, the shown presence is wrong nevertheless! Maybe we should not show a presence at all before showing the wrong one…

This is not a wrong presence, but rather the result of presence absence. Openfire is not sending user’s presence info for some reason, so Spark is not getting it and doesnt change default offline state to other. Have you tried other client? If others show the same, we can eliminate client in this issue.

Hmm. I am doing something similar but with on NIC as you only need one for my way. Place the server on the inside of your network on the primary NIC. Give it a NAT or inside address. Then on your Router/Firewall/PIX or whatever, set network address translation from a real world external IP to the interal private IP. Allow only the ports listed in the Server admin panel (attached below). I allowed them as TCP and UDP just to be sure. As long as you have both DNS configured correctly it will work like a charm.

Hello!

I hear what you say but as the server is dualhomed for more reasons (although not being setup as router) anyway I guess this does not make to much sense. I also think it will complain about “martian source” or something when packets from the internet appear (because of the NAT) on the inner interface.

Bye

Starry

Are you using the subscription plugin at all? it could be that one user approved the other and one did not.