Supporting Multiple Namespaces on one Wildfire Server

Hi- I’'ve been wrestling with how to solve the following problem and was hoping someone might be able to help.

Let’‘s say I am hosting a server for 10 businesses (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, etc.). The members of each business are automatically loaded into Wildfire and for simplicity, the member’'s username/JID is their phone extension (e.g. 101). Each member then automatically sees all of the other members of their company pre-loaded into their company group.

The challenge is with naming conflicts since each company might have a member with phone extension 101.

My initial preference was to create a subdomain system, such that "101@alpha.acme.com" was different from "101@beta.acme.com". Unfortunately it doesn’'t appear that Wildfire supports multiple- or sub-domains.

So, any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan,

Wildfire does not have support for virtual domains so you will need to have one Wildfire instance for each domain if you need to go with the multiple domain solution. You can run a few Wildfire instances in the same server and play with the DNS server to point to different ports.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi:

I’‘m also having this same issue: I have multiple domains on one physical server, and now that I have wildfire running, I can’'t separate the domains.

If i understand this answer correctly, then here’'s my issue:

When a Jabber client connects to my server, it tries port 5222 by default. But that is after it determines the destination from a DNS lookup.

so user@mydomain1.com will try to connect to mydomain1.com on port 5222 and user@mydomain2.com will try to connect to mydomain2.com on port 5222.

But mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com are the same server, so they both see the same wildfire instance.

I can use a router to redirect ports, but not based on the requested domain name

So I’‘m not clear on how using DNS might work, since the request comes after the DNS lookup, and the router can’'t parse the domain request.

It seems to me that the virtual hosting capabilities would have to be a part of wildfire’‘s httpd server (similar to Apache’'s directive)

Am I wrong? or is there something here I just don’'t know…

Otherwise, I’'d like to add my vote to adding this capability in a future version (or maybe just running a version behind Tomcat which in turn is behind apache…anyone done that?)

Thanks!

Hi,

if you have the possibility to use multiple IP addresses you should do this and bind every Wildfire instance to one IP address.

JM-919 is the issue to vote, you may need to create a JIRA account if you don’'t have one already.

LG

At the moment I only have one IP addres, so I can’‘t do it that way. I’'d also like to have only one wildfire instance that supports multiple domains (though your suggestion will work in the interim)

I’'ve voted…

Thanks for your help!

jweinberger wrote:

When a Jabber client connects to my server, it tries port 5222 by default. But that is after it determines the destination from a DNS lookup.

so user@mydomain1.com will try to connect to mydomain1.com on port 5222 and user@mydomain2.com will try to connect to mydomain2.com on port 5222.

But mydomain1.com and mydomain2.com are the same server, so they both see the same wildfire instance.

I can use a router to redirect ports, but not based on the requested domain name

XMPP uses SRV records, not A records. SRV records also contain the port used. That means mydomain2.com can point to 5224 on the same ip. You can set Openfire’'s XMPP port in the web interface.

Of course it’'s very wasteful to run two complete java VMs and whole servers just for this, so this should be fixed in Openfire.

Thank you! That helps…(I’‘m not really a DNS expert…). I’‘m not sure that for now it’'s worth the effort to do all the port redirecting necessary or to run multiple instances of WildFire.

I’'ll probably run it this way for now, and hope for a better solution in OpenFire!

Thanks