Test Environment

Possibly implementing Jive into our corp.

Here is what our setup is going to be like:

over 900 users (possibly concurrently)

Multiple locations geographically: Oklahoma, Missouri, TX etc.

We want to keep access local, no outside access to other clients on the net. Basically dont allow employees to talk with friends family etc. I see a problem with doing this with multiple geographic locations.

I have a couple of questions now:

1.We have the choice of either setting up the server using linux or windows, we would prefer windows if the port is good and there is enough community support? I want the more stable and reliable method + the one supported by the community the most.

2.Does anyone have a setup similiar to the one I have described?Meaning multiple locations but no access to outside jabber servers?

I think that is a good starting point

Sorry for the long post

1.We have the choice of either setting up the server

using linux or windows, we would prefer windows if

the port is good and there is enough community

support? I want the more stable and reliable method +

the one supported by the community the most.

Jive Messenger on Windows is actually not a port. We “natively” support Windows, Linux, and OSX since Jive Messenger is a pure Java application. If Windows is your preferred platform, you should definitely use that.

2.Does anyone have a setup similiar to the one I have

described?Meaning multiple locations but no access to

outside jabber servers?

You have a few options for this – one would be to use a single server and a VPN between locations. All your users will then be able to connect to the same server. Another option would be to use server to server (s2s) support. With s2s, you could setup a server at each location and then allow users to talk to one another. s2s is a feature planned for 2.2.0 and is now working in nightly builds. We’'re planning on adding whitelist/blacklist support for 2.2.0, which would allow you to configure your servers to only talk to each other and not other servers.

For your situation, I think a single central server would be easiest – it would be less work to maintain one install vs several. You’'ll also need to have some sort of VPN or firewall rules for s2s support anyway, so you could just use a single server instead.

Regards,

Matt

Thank you Matt for your prompt and extremely helpful replies!