powered by Jive Software

Third world problem

Here is a problem that most of you will never experience. Being from the third world, our international internet connections are so small and suffer from congestion. So when it comes to downloading large files, even on a 256K connection, the download is often interrupted and needs to resume. And this is where I have a problem with igniterealtime.org, the server does not support resume on downloads. As a result, the last version of openfire I have is 3.3.1 and spark is 2.52.

Hi Chris,

Isn’t this really more a function of how the browser you use works rather than a given website? I know some broswers such as Safari, Opera and Firefox have the ability to resume downloads in some cases. If you are using Firefox you might want to take a look at DownThemAll add-on which increases the download speed as well as improves the ability to pause/resume downloads.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Browsers and download managers wount save you from connection timeouts, Ryan.

Maybe Jive should think about mirroring bigger setups (i.e. download.com, fileforums, etc.). Or maybe they can get a better plan with Contegix.

Hi Ryan,

it’s the server which may or may not support to resume downloads. For those who are interested how the "Range: " tag is evaluated by this server, here’s the log:

telnet www.igniterealtime.org 80
/* the client sends */
GET /downloadServlet?filename=spark/spark_2_5_7.msi HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Range: bytes=11698176-
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Host: www.igniterealtime.org
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cookie: __utma=263880596.352826122.1168878137.1180444519.1187688509.11 /* the server responds */
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:27:04 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=*spark_2_5_7.msi*
Content-Length: *46792704*
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Expires: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:27:04 GMT
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: application/octet-stream

Looks fine if you take a brief look, the size of spark_2_5_7.msi is exactly 46792704 bytes. If we request 11698176- bytes a server which supports Range-Headers will send a HTTP 206 and it will skip the first 11698176 bytes. So it’s the server which does not support to resume broken downloads.

LG

Hey Guys,

Thanks for info.

Cheers,

Ryan

I am using ‘Free dowload manager’ which says the server does not support resume. Hence the problem.

Hi Chris,

let me know which operating systems (Linux, Windows, OSX) and which versions you’d like to download. I can put them on a server which supports to resume downloads.

LG

Why not using bittorrent? It is ideal such purpose. If you need the current openfire rpm, you can get the corresponding torrent here. There, i easily could provide the other files too. Just let me know.

Cheers

-Fritz