This server does not support group chats

Hi

I’m hoping someone will be able to help with an issue I’m currently experiencing with group chats using Openfire and Jabber on Mac clients.

Please bear with me as I’ve had to pick this up from a colleague who originally configured our chat setup so learning as I go!

So I had to rebuild our setup in Openfire and most functions are working well. Users authenticate through AD and can chat to individuals with no problems. They can also see and join a server created Chat Room. The issue is that when someone starts a new chat, adds more than one buddy in, types a message and hits send, a message is shown stating ‘This server does not support group chats’.

Everything looks fine to me on the admin console. I’m scratching my head as to where to look next!

Ad-hoc group chats were working before I did the rebuild.

Any help would be much appreciated.

For info, am running Openfire 4.0.1 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

Thanks all.

What client? Maybe this client is trying to use its internal group chat feature, which is not a regular group chat (MUC) supported by Openfire.

Hi, the client is just the built in iChat on OSX. It does say above the server doesn’t support group chat ‘Jabber server (and today’s date)’.

Thanks

Well, i don’t have Mac and i’m not familiar with iChat. Does it have an option of just creating a room and then inviting others to it? maybe only the converting of regular chat to group chat (ad-hoc) doesn’t work. @speedy has a OSX virtual machine. Maybe he can test that. Although, not much can be done about iChat, if that’s its issue.

Although we’re running some tests, the general consensus amongst XMPP developers is that the iChat client (renamed to Messages a while ago) is not a very good XMPP client. On a Mac, you’re better off using a different client.

Hi

Are you able to suggest a more reliable, compatible chat client I could give a go please?

Thanks both for your responses, much appreciated.

Can i plug Spark? It has an installer for Mac now and most annoying issues are fixed (but there are still some other). Then maybe Adium?

Here’s a list: XMPP | XMPP Clients

I think on Macs, Adium is pretty popular.

We did some further testing: it appears that iChat / Messages fails to create a room properly (it creates it, but does not finish configuring it). You typically run into trouble if you’re about to use a room created by iChat / Messages, but that client use rooms just fine when another client created it. That sounds like a bug in Apple’s client…

Cheers both, I’ll give those both a test tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

All the best.

jitsi also makes a mac client thats pretty good, although its a bit “busy”