Today''s Group Chat

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for attending today’‘s group chat. I attached a transcript as a PDF. We’‘re working on better transcript formats, but this is the best I can do for this week’'s edition.

As a thanks to everyone that attended, I’‘ll assign points to whoever replies to this message that was in the chat. Don’'t forget to join us next Wed for another chat!

Thanks,

Matt

Great chat. Looking forward to improvements with shared rosters and overall LDAP support. Keep up the good work.

i wish i was able to be in the chat, but i was in transit when the chat was going on. I’'ll catch it next week Good chat through.

Tried to get there, but:

1. the web-based chat doesn’‘t seem to work from behind my client’‘s firewall. As it is, I VPN into my employer’'s office and proxy http traffic from there (and can authenticate direct to the firewall for very brief periods, long enough to set up IM connections), but…

2. set up a Jabber account on the designated server, but when I tried to browse for rooms, no dice. Tried Gaim, Neos and Exodus, none of them found it.

grumble

Jim,

I’'m sorry we missed you!

1. the web-based chat doesn’'t seem to work from

behind my client’'s firewall. As it is, I VPN into my

employer’'s office and proxy http traffic from there

(and can authenticate direct to the firewall for very

brief periods, long enough to set up IM connections),

but…

I’‘m surprised this was an issue since all traffic is HTTP over port 80. What leads you to believe it’'s a firewall problem?

1. set up a Jabber account on the designated server,

but when I tried to browse for rooms, no dice. Tried

Gaim, Neos and Exodus, none of them found it.

This method may not work yet. We’'ll try to get that fixed for next week.

Thanks,

Matt

For the web-based chat, when I tried to login, it gave me something like “Failed to connect” or some such. That was shortly before 8am PST. Let me try it again right now and see what happens.

Okay, that’'s interesting. Now it works and I see 2 rooms listed.

Maybe it was just my bad sense of timing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it was just my bad sense of timing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, sorry about that. The server was down right before the chat started for some reason.

Regards,

Matt

Great chat. I am looking forward to 2.2!

was my first chat on Jive and it was very interesting

good idea to get direct contact to the developers and other admins/users with forum and chat

Thanks for that and the great software

Regards,

Frank

well, i’‘m kind a new to all of this. Though im using Miranda for ICQ client for some time. But now i’‘ve started working in one company and we want internal messaging/chating service. So i’'ve started searching for a good/user-friendly server. Jive Messenger is my current stop (ejabberd was too complex and i was not able to start it). I like Jive, as it looks and feels. Thanx for this server.

About this chat, it sounds interesting, though i’‘m novice in this things, but i already have questions:) What time does it starts? I’‘m from Lithuania, Eastern Europe. Maybe i’'ll be able to join it this wednesday.

P.S. looking to the future: maybe someday you’'ll release some Jive Client?:slight_smile: Wich would be fully compatible eith JM server features and bugs:) It would be nice to have all software (server and client) in one place.

wroot: have a look here: http://www.jivesoftware.org/group-chat.jsp

I personally don’‘t think that it’‘s a good idea for Jive to start developing a new client because there are so many clients already! It’'s better to create a real good Jabber server or if so to join development on an existing Jabber client.

Regards,

Frank

yes, i’‘ve found this:) Pity, 18:00 our time. I’'ll be on my way home at this time, so…

About own client, it was some kind of a joke and… well, never mind:) I’'m testing Psi and Neos now. Could anybody say what is the latest version of Exodus? Because jabber.org is down for some days, and im not sure i have the latest.

Latest version of Exodus is 0.9.0.0. BTW, we do have our own client named Smack. In fact, it’'s a client library.

Regards,

– Gato

ok, so i have the latest version. Now testing it, but on the same machine with Jive Server. So maybe because of that Exodus acts strangely. Will have to connect some laptop and try Exodus there.

Yes, i know about Smack, but it’'s not a real client as i understand? I mean, with front-end/interface etc. When i try to double click smack.jar it says:

Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from

path\smack.jar

Probably it’‘s not a bug, because it’‘s only library, but i’'ve decided to post it anyway:)