Transport to ICQ, AIM, MSN whatever

I didnt manage to run PyICQt on linux yet So it’‘s doubtful easynest, though i’'m not linux guru. Just need two more twisted packages to install.

Well, i didnt tested PyMSNt either, so it looks not as like the same as PyICQt. Well, you just need to have Python and other requested packages (as Twisted in PyICQt case) installed to compile them. Actually, PyICQt was automaticly compiled upon your first launch i think. You can see new compiled files in src directory. I’‘m not really familiar with python, it’'s only my suggestions. So, compiling of Py transports/programs/etc. is not very complex and you dont need Visual Studio for that. Visual Studio is not supporting python i think

So, you say it needs OpenSSL. Is it not launching without that? Any complains in output about that? I see windows install for PyOpenSSL is very outdated.

You can try this one: http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

But maybe it wount work with that.

So, cant help anymore…

Let me jump in here again…

PyMSNt requires all the usual Python/Twisted stuff, but in order for PyMSNt to logon it needs SSL. Thus the PyOpenSSL is needed to combine the openSSL libraries for Python.

Yes the PyOpenSSL is falling behind in version for Windows… I cant say I’'ve tried it so the only thing I can say is give it a shot.

http://pyopenssl.sourceforge.net/

Peter

For those who cannot find a binary for the latest pyopenssl, and cannot build the source in windows for lack of Visual Studio, you may find it here:

http://webcleaner.sourceforge.net/pyOpenSSL-0.6.win32-py2.4.exe

An additional thing to note is that you need to create a folder in the PyMSNt folder reflecting your jid, or PyMSNt will error out on startup.

An additional thing to note is that you need to

create a folder in the PyMSNt folder reflecting your

jid, or PyMSNt will error out on startup.

hm, PyICQt is creating it automaticly according to config.xml settings. icq.wroot in my case.

Yes I belive ICQ and AIM both auto-create the jid folder, but pymsnt did in one version I tried and didn’‘t in another… I don’'t remember, but the error code was obvious to recognize the lack of a jid folder.

So have you been successful with PyMSNt on Windows? This would be very cool, as I have a recent server deployment that wants to replace MSN with something private, but the head of HR says no to killing MSN support, something about casual workers communicating via MSN or something silly. What ever happended to good old voicemail… :stuck_out_tongue:

Peter

Yes, I have PyMSNt working fine in windows. That jid folder error is indeed obvious, but only if you’‘ve seen it before or worked with python a lot, which I haven’'t. I had to open the script and find where it was breaking to see what it was trying to do.

hi iam also searching for transports and the way to install after i have found this thread… uhm may i ask if someone that brought it to work may can write a short tutorial like:

system requerments (phyton…)

url to the transport.

step one install this ans that there…

would be nice…

I have a question about getting the pyaim-t transport to work. I installed eveything I should, python, twisted, pycrypto, pyopensll and uncompiled pyaim-t. I got the jid and host all set but I was wondering how the jive server listens for the transport as the instructions are for jabberd.

Thank you!

pm.

In Messenger Admin, on the external component page there are settings for turning on component support and the port to listen for component connections.

http://jabber.yourdomain.com:9090/external-components-settings.jsp

BoL

Peter

Thank you Peter! That hellped I just wanted to make sure I didn’'t have to put a line like in my messenger.xml.

I also have confusion about the JID, the example says aim.jabber.org or something like that. What exactly does the jabber ID do? Is it for naming purposes for the transport? I was going to use aim.myjabberservername.org just for recognition. Is that correct?

Also, the JID directory that we are to create, does it replace the pyaim-t-0.6 or go directly under that directory?

Thank you and sorry if these are newb questions.

phil.

yes the JID is for routing and identification. my setup is aim.jabber.mydomain.ca

but you can do what ever you like.

The JID directory will usually be under the the install directory, but can be where ever you like, as log as you specify where in the config.xml for PyAIM

BoL

Peter

Thanks for your help Peter. But I’‘m afraid I’‘m an id10t and am having a mental block. I either don’‘t understand how the transport works or I’'m configuring the pyaimt improperly.

I’'ve got pyaim-t-0.6 directory under C:\ and my config.xml looks like this. Let me know if there is anything else I can post to help me find out if my configs are wrong.

As a side note, how does the transport work, exactly. If I have a jive server, exodus client and I want to talk to a person outside the network with an AIM account. after I get the pyaim-t working, I can open up an exodus client and send and IM to an AIM account by putting in their aol name, right? ANd if I wanted and AIM account to email my jabber/jive ID, what do they need to do to send that message?

Sorry if this is just an outlandishly dumb post.

Thank you.

pyaimt>

Ok lets run the simple stuff first…

<-- Usually this is 5347 but as long as everyone is on hte right channel your ok.

Im assuming you enabled external components in Messenger (http://jabberserver.compnay.com:9090/external-components-settings.jsp)

Now the the fun part.

You must have an AOL “screen name” or “Buddy Name” or what ever they call them today.

After you start PyAIM, check Messenger Admin (http://jabber.synergenics.ca:9090/component-session-summary.jsp) nad make sure that you see PyAIM as a connected service.

From Exodus, open service discovery, right click on AOL and choose register or join or what ever looks like you want to enable it. You’'ll get prompted with a account setup page that wants your screen name and password.

Once your done you should see an item in your roster that says aim.jabbberserver.company.com. This is your “representative” on AIM’'s network, if its not loged on then your AIM account is not logged on.

Once its logged on, you can add users. It should also import your buddy list, but dont quote me on that. I only have one buddy on AOL and I could have added it manual.

BoL

Peter

Thanks for your help Peter. I was having tons of issues with the pyaim-t. It would spike my processor and never run. I’'ve tried 0.6 and 0.5 and they both spike 100% proc utilization after I run the main.py.

I installed and ran the msn one and it is now running as a component but I’‘m having trouble registering exodus as a client. I’‘ve posted the debug log in another post. Not sure what the deal is though. it sounds like there is a rights issue because it says not accepted, but I’'ve got everything enabled in the registration and login.

Okay, I got the Pyaim-t working. It was posted over the weekend to comment out a few lines so the processor stops spiking. Once I did that, I was able to see both aim and msn components in my admin console.

Now I’‘m having issues registering both the AIM and MSN services. Or do I even have to? I’'ve got a valid test account with each but am unsure of the process to get my exodus client to send IMs to them. Any ideas?

thank you!!!

phil.

can some one like post a step by step of setting up pyMSNt cause i am new at this and i am stuck and don’‘t know what to 2 i have installed all the software but i don’‘t know what to do now i have windows xp and i have also extracted the files for the pymsnt but now i don’'t know what to do

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/pymsnt

these are the instructions. Go thorigh them and tell us what you dont understand.

This is what ive got so far in my config file i dont know if its right and what do i need to change

msn.hostname

hostname or servername or computername

and probably you need to uncomment spooldir tags, not sure about the path, in pyicq-t config i have this:

msn.hostname

hostname or servername or computername

I just updated that tutorial to include a remark about that common error:

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/pymsnt#jid