Transports or search feature

COOL~~~ Thanks Brett.

Very nice and clear explanation.

It’'s work with Psi Now!!!

I read this & was unsure about jabber gateways in Trillian Pro, which Iuse, and when I looked at my jabber account, I see a checkbox there that says “try to disable gateways”. Not far be it for me to assume something, but would that mean that is does support them, and that the user might elect to disable them for that jabber account.

It would seem to me that Trillian’'s past history & feel of trying be all things to all people would make me guess that it does support gateway, but that might be a waste of all of our time (guessing).

Any one know for sure?

I really need to set this up in-house soon.

Thanks.

Jason

Hey guys,

What about asking Cerulean for an official answer? I’'m sure this question has already been made before. May be you can find something in their forums too.

Let us know.

Thanks,

– Gato

A good suggestion, but someone else who paid for the Pro version will have to answer; I don’‘t own it. For what it’‘s worth, I was just making an assumption about Trillian’'s features based on these (oldish) posts:

Jabber Trillian Support

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eafcd37db9643ca0c9e2a3e85 784ea79&threadid=57669&highlight=disable+gateway[/url]

HOWTO: Add and Configure a Jabber Connection

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eafcd37db9643ca0c9e2a3e85 784ea79&threadid=75388&highlight=jabber[/url]

I don’‘t usually go out on a limb to “inform” people about something I haven’‘t confirmed to be true, but I couldn’'t resist saying something about this one… In my other web wanderings, I saw a way to make ANY Jabber client work with proprietary services WITHOUT Jabber gateway support built-in. Roughly, the steps are these:

1. Install a client (like Psi) that DOES have Jabber gateway support.

2. Configure your Jabber user account, then configure your AIM, MSN, etc. gateway accounts.

3. Login with your Jabber account and authorize all of your non-Jabber contacts, (tedious if you have many).

4. Shut down the (Psi) client that supports Jabber gateways.

5. Start up your preferred Jabber client that does NOT support Jabber gateways, (Spark, Trillian Pro), and connect to the same Jabber server with the account you used before.

6. All of the non-Jabber contacts should be in your Jabber contact list, and usable.

7. You’‘ll have to keep the (Psi) client that supports Jabber gateways, to manage contacts in the future since the non-Jabber gateway client can’'t do that.

Haven’‘t tried this yet myself. Just read about this so far. On the other hand, maybe I HAVE tried this? I was assuming that Meebo.com has gateway support, but perhaps it doesn’‘t, and my non-Jabber contacts show up on Meebo because I had previously added them while using Psi. I’‘ll definitely try this and report back, if someone here doesn’'t beat me to it…

• Brett

Okay, so this is confirmed! Just got done chatting with my wife on MSN using Spark through Wildfire & MSN Transport. She was completely oblivious. All of the non-Jabber contacts I usually have in my Psi client showed up in Spark right away. The gateways show up as “msn.example.com”, and users take the form “username%hotmail.com@msn.example.com” or “username%mac.com@aim.example.com”. This is also the way they look on Meebo.com, so it was probably just showing the same contacts I already added from Psi.

I suppose in a corporate environment, the chat administrators would just keep track of Spark, and anyone who wanted to use non-Jabber gateways would have to manage their accounts with another client. Perhaps a browser based client would eliminate the need to distribute a second client, like JWChat?

• Brett