Trying to Upgrade WILDfire to OPENfire

After finally tracking down the downloadable installation of Wildfire 3.2 and upgrading my Wildfire 3.0, I’m trying to upgrade to OPENfire 3.3.

I am looking at the instructions at:

http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/WILDFIRE/WildfiretoOpenfireUpgradeGuide

Unforunately, these instructions aren’t specific enough and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I’m using Windows.

So, on my system I have a Wildfire folder and an Openfire folder. Wildfire contains the 3.2 Wildfire installation with an embedded database. Openfire folder contains a fresh brand new (and working) Openfire installation, using mySQL as the backend.

Step 4: Install 3.3.0. I assume they mean OPENfire 3.3.0, which first of all doesn’t exist anymore (3.3.2 is the most recent I think). HOWEVER, knowing that I had to first upgrade WILDfire from 3.01 to 3.2 it wasn’t a far stretch of the imagination to read “4) Install 3.3.0” and think uhh, does he mean there’s another version of WILDfire out there that’s newer than 3.2, ie 3.3?

In Steps 5 to 10, should I be doing these changes in the WILDfire folder and then copying those changed files to the same location in the OPENfire folder?

For instance, step 8 says to delete the old plugin folders and drop in new versions of the plugins. But if I was in the OPENfire folder, there shouldn’t be any plugins. I could see deleting and/or upgrading WILDfire plugins, but why would I do this if I’m going to be using the OPENfire folder from now on? Step 10 specifically tells me to use the openfire service startup script, which doesn’t exist in the WILDfire folder.

Finally, what’s the procedure for swapping from embedded WILDfire to mySQL based OPENfire?

I love the Wildfire product, and I consider myself a pretty sharp guy, but this upgrade procedure has been a nightmare simply because the documentation for it seems incomplete, starting with the very first step that there’s no download link for WILDfire 3.2.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated…!

It was long time ago hwn i was testing upgrading to openfire in wondows, so i dont remember exactly. But i think it was possible to do an upgrade instalaltion (not just fresh install of openfire aside of wildfire). And during that process maybe some files are copied to openfire folders from wildfire. Maybe that could explain this missleading steps. Gato should know better.

Main problem now is that you want to migrate to a new db backend. So you can do that with wildfire and then upgrade, or upgrade and then migrate. In first case you wount need Step 7, in second case you will need to rename files. I dont know what’s the best case to migrate to a new db. Probably i would use Users Import Export plugin to do this. But maybe there are some better ways to do this.

So. In your place i would

1. copy conf/wildfire.xml to openfire and rename conf/wildfire.xml to conf/openfire.xml

2. Search for org.jivesoftware.wildfire. and replace with org.jivesoftware.openfire. in conf/openfire.xml

3. copy embedded-db folder from wildfire folder to openfire and rename embedded-db\wildfire* files to embedded-db\openfire*

4. no need to delete plugins as it’s a fresh install, probably will need to upgrade or install some plugins via Administration Console

5. Start up the server using new launch scripts localted in bin (in openfire folder) or Start > Programs > Openfire > Openfire Server - Start

6. Optionally install as a service again: openfire-service /install (via cmd, Openfire\bin\openfire-service.exe /install)

After checking that everything is working fine you can get rid of Wildfire (uninstall (if Openfire upgrade didnt removed it from programs list already) or just delete its dir)

And then i would think about the better way to move to mysql db. User Import Export plugin exports only users, so you would need to rebuild group structure.

Sorry, but no luck here on several different attempts.

First, I copied over my working Wildfire 3.0 directory to it’s new server.

Then, I upgraded to Wildfire 3.3.4. So far so good. Fired it up, I saw in the console that it upgraded it’s Embedded DB to version 11.

Then, I downloaded and installed Openfire. It detected my existing Wildfire folder and performed an in-place upgrade.

I renamed wildfire.xml to openfire.xml in /conf, and then edited the fire and replaced all the “.wildfire” reference with “.openfire”.

I went into the embedded-db folder, and renamed the items from wildfire.whatever to openfire.whatever.

Feeling hugely confident, I fired up openfire.exe and the console bombed me with several variations of this error:

ERROR 11870 (): Error reading XML properties

org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document : Content is not allowed in prolog. Nested exception: Content is not allowed in prolog.

at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:482)

at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:365)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties.buildDoc(XMLProperties.java:464)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties.<init>(XMLProperties.java:112)

at org.jivesoftware.util.XMLProperties.<init>(XMLProperties.java:61)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.loadSetupProperties(JiveGlobals.java:771)

at org.jivesoftware.util.JiveGlobals.getXMLProperty(JiveGlobals.java:274)

at org.jivesoftware.util.Log.initLog(Log.java:76)

at org.jivesoftware.util.Log.<clinit>(Log.java:64)

If I then go to openfire.server.net:9090, I do get the initial setup page, with none of the wildfire settings in place. So it’s almost like I didn’t upgrade at all, I just installed a fresh Openfire that slams me with errors when it starts up. Still have no idea if my “new” embedded-db will work with Openfire.

Note that at this point I’ve given up on trying to convert the embedded-db to mysql. I just want to get my embedded-db Wildfire 3.0 upgraded to the latest embedded-db Openfire.

Any ideas what’s with the errors it’s throwing me out, or if I have gained any benefit of “upgrading” Wildfire vs. a fresh Openfire installation?

Not sure what this error is about. But it looks like your openfire.xml is not ok. Maybe some tags are broken (not closed or else). If your config isnt complicated you can go through a setup (when you connect to server:9090) again. It should connect to your existing embedded-db.

If your having to go to the setup page then something is wrong in your Openfire.xml configuration. There should be a tag that states whether you should go through the setup process. This maybe set to true if you are being confronted with the Openfire setup screens.

Well, I decided to try a straight Openfire installation without worrying about upgrading WIldfire. I just couldn’t figure out the problems with openfire.xml, and then I would have to deal with the whole embedded to mySQL transition as well. Fortunately, it turns out that only a few of our 60 users have personalized buddy lists, as the rest are just pushed from LDAP groups in Openfire. So, I won’t be losing much data (I hope!)

Thanks for the help…