Turning off Broadcast in OpenFire

Was wondering what variables you need to set to disable users from broadcasting to allusers or even rosters? I didn’t have any luck when I seached for the answer.

Hi,

I could be way off base here, but isn’t the default setting to only allow admins to broadcast?

daryl

Hi Clayten. Yes, you can disable (any) users from broacasting with the Openfire broadcast plugin by setting the Openfire system property plugin.broadcast.allowedUsers to somthing other than empty.

Read more here

/John

I did set those variables from the plugin but no dice. One note is that I had to create the variables first before I set them. Is that normal?

Hey clgillis,

I just checked the plugin code and it should just take the new settings without having to restart the server or the plugin. Are you using the latest version of the plugin? Is that not working for you? Let us know if you see any error in the log files.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi,

most clients allow a broadcast by sending a message to every user, so it’s a client issue.

This can be controlled by the commercial Openfire Enterprise Plugin if all the users are using Spark. There you can “Deny or Allow for broadcasting of messages to specified groups or entire roster.”

LG

I tried those options as well, but they did not work.

Openfire

Spark 2.5.7

Broadcast plugin 1.6.0

plugin.broadcast.groupMembersAllowed = false

Hve you read LG comment? Spark has it’s own builtin broadcasting which is not affected by broadcast plugin’s settings. You can only edit Spark code and remove that thing. Or buy Enterprise version. Though i cant guarantee it will block Spark broadcasts, have never used Enterprise.

How can you disable the broadcast plugin from sending messages about openfire version availability to adminstrator users?

greco wrote:

How can you disable the broadcast plugin from sending messages about openfire version availability to adminstrator users?

this is not a broadcast plugin sending those messages.

Admin Console > Server > Manage Updates > Admins Notifications