Two questions in one! Online users and MOTD?

Hi all! Just a quick couple of questions, if I may.

Is it possible to run some sort of SQL query or something else to determine how many users are logged in at the moment? I can’'t always get to the admin console depending on where I am (thanks to outbound traffic restrictions and the like), but I figure I could write a little script to fetch the number of online users so I can just check and possibly keep some statistics about it.

Secondly, is it possible to set a MOTD-type message to be sent to all users upon their first login after the message has been set? If this isn’‘t possible, would it be possible to make a feature request for such a thing? If I’‘m having problems with my Jabber server, or I need to make users aware of some other problem, I’‘d like to be able to inform all of them (not just online ones at the time I send the message). Plus, if the message is no longer valid (say, I set it regarding a maintenence event scheduled for two days from now, but a week later it’‘s all said and done), I don’'t want the user to login and receive that message.

Thanks! As usual, I love my Wildfire server, and both Jive and the community surrounding it are doing an excellent job.

Daniel

Hi,

Wildfire stores the online information in memory, so an SQL query will not be your friend. Maybe an ad-hoc command (JEP-50: Ad-hoc commands, implemented within JM-450) allows you to do this.

There is an open issue JM-295 Add “message of the day” support to the broadcast plugin[/i] so currently it is not possible, as long as you don’'t want to use the broadcast plugin.

LG

Okay, that tells me what I need to know. I use Bitlbee as my main Jabber client right now, so I don’‘t think I can use ad-hoc commands (its XMPP support is still a bit lackluster, but I hear they’‘re working on it). But, maybe I can work on something else to let me see. I’‘d like to be able to hook in and get information in some way that lets me graph it (without using something like the stats plugin). It’'s really for my curiosity more than anything else.

Thanks very much! You’‘ve been helpful, though, I think you’'re always helpful.

Daniel

Hi,

you could probably try to use perl to login the web interface and fetch then /user-summary.jsp?start=0&range=3000 or /session-summary.jsp?range=3000&refresh=0 and parse it then.

LG

PS: For a perl script which does the login and broadcasts a message see http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=116681&#116681

Oh cool! You know, I didn’‘t even think about doing something like that. I’'ll mess with the perl script and see what all I can devise. Thanks!

Daniel