Unable to add contact error on Spark client

Background: MSSQL db, Openfire 3.5.1 on CentOS

On one user I am unable to add users to the Roster, nor groups. If i create a group, and log out then log back in, then it loses the one just created. If i add a user from that clients session, then goto the users’s roster on the admin web console, and switch the subscription to ‘both’, it throws this as an exception:

Exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException<br /><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.WebManager.logEvent(WebManager.java:118)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.user_002droster_002dedit_jsp._jspService(user_002droster_002dedit_jsp.java:113)<br/><br/>
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)<br/><br/>
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:42)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:99)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:828)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)
</p></p>
<p><p> </p></p>
<p><p> </p></p>
<p><p>On the client side, these are the logs generated:
Jun 6, 2008 11:46:29 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error<br /><br/>

SEVERE: Unable to add new entry XXXX@jabber.YYYYY.com

No response from the server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.Roster.createEntry(Roster.java:249)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.RosterDialog.addEntry(RosterDialog.java:473)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.RosterDialog$4.construct(RosterDialog.java:438)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

If I logon the users spark as myself, I’m not able to re-create the same issues mentioned above. Can anyone shed some light? THanks!

I think i found the root of the problem - I was trying to add a uer to a Group on the client’s roster, that conflicted with an Active Directory group’s name. I changed the group name on the client roster - and have not been able to re-produce the problem! Maybe we can get some kind of confirmation on this? Or somekind of error that would notify you of an already existing group is named that so you can’t use it…?