Unable to connect to server

I setup the server and unfortunetly i have others that use the Jabber client (pidgin, spark) and i cant even connect to my server with my laptop that is on the same internet connection. I am quite sure its something i am not doing right as i am new to openfire and the whole running my own server. This server will be supporting an organization that will include others logging on from accross the world. Please help.

I am having this same issue. I have installed Openfire 3.8.2 on a Windows Server 2003 Standard 32bit that is not on a domain. I am unable to do the initial login with my administrator login that I created during setup. I have uninstalled and tried mulitple times with no luck. I am thinking that it might need to either be on a domain or have some other requirements that I am not meeting. The error message in the web portal is just saying “Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.” My hope was to either use Spark as the client on the PC’s or Pidgin, but I haven’t gotten past getting the Openfire to work yet. Without any instructions on the software and not much on the forums, I am not having any luck so far. I am hoping someone will respond and let me know how this is supposed to work…

I figured it out. I was trying to install it remotely through a Citrix product (GoToMyPC). It works fine when installed at the console.

what do you mean you installed it to the console please help me walk through it

I installed it at the server (physically) instead of trying to install remotely (from another location). It works fine if you are sitting at the actual machine you are trying to install it at. I installed the Windows version on a Windows Server 2003 Standard 32bit server. I choose the embedded database option and the default profile settings. Once it was installed and I was able to log in you can create you users in the server or on the client side. I tested both. I am using the Spark agent for the client side on Windows PC’s on wired and wireless network. I will be testing on Windows 7/8 32 and 64bit next week, but I don’t expect any issues. I have everything else setup like I want it. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will help if I can.