Unable to log onto new installation's admin panel

Hi there.

I have just downloaded and installed Openfire on my Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 machine. The install went fine and I started up the software at the end. I launch the admin panel and follow the install wizard through, configuring it to use a MySQL installation on the same box. All goes well, I input the email and password I want for my admin account. No problems so far.

Then when I try to log into the admin panel for the first time, it continues to tell me my login details are correct.

“Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.”

I’ve now uninstalled and reinstalled THREE times and re-ran the setup wizard several times. Each time I copy and paste the password from a notepad window so I know it’s not a typo, and each time Openfire will not let me log on with username: admin and the password I set.

Am I being really thick here and doing something wrong, or is there a problem?

Regards,

Ryan Spooner

p.s. Almost forgot, It’s openfire 3.6.4 I’m using.

Message was edited by: Ryster092

I am having the exact same problem as ryster092 with the exception that I installed Openfire to a Windows SBS Server 2003 x32 machine. What admin userid and what password is the system looking for and where was it setup and where will is it stored… I note a reference to the use of the embedded database - NOT - what gives here???

There is a bug in the server. After you run through the install script and before you attempt to login as admin you must stop and restart the Openfire server. The bug is to be fixed in the next version.

Stopping - Starting the service did NOT solve the problem.

I concur. Stopping and Restarting the Openfire service did NOT resolve the issue for me.

In the end I had to actually restart the whole server before it would let me log on. If a reboot is indeed required, as seems to be the case, the installer should point that out.

When can we expect a new version that has this fix built in? I won’t be needing it for a while myself, as I’m now up and running, but from reading the topics here it seems alot of people have the same issue.

Arggghh! I cannot reboot the server for some time and will have to postpone the installation/deployment for now.

I am having the same issue. I have installed this on linux and using a mysql database. I have posted updates the the records to null out the encrypted password, and put in admin as the default password, but to no avail. I have restarted services multiple times and rebooted a couple other times. Nothing has worked to fix this issue. Any sugggestions?

thanks in advance

how about trying to re-run the setup config. edit the openfire.xml file so the setup tag reads false.

Ryster092 wrote:

When can we expect a new version that has this fix built in?
Nobody knows. Jive officials are not responding much on this and only they can do an official release.

On the topic. Usually one doesnt have to restart the machine, only the Openfire. Are you sure you can stop or restart the Openfire? Maybe it is running as a service and you wasnt stopping it so you needed to restart the machine.

I have gotten around this issue by NOT using the Gui App and instead using the browser (IE8) to go directly to the Administration logon screen (http://FQDN:9090). However, I am now back where I started a week or so ago. System will not allow me logon to the admin console. I can only hope that the client side is not as problematic as the server side is as I may not make it!

I have the same issue, where restarting openfire didn’t work. But stop & start did work. eg. /etc/init.d/openfire stop then /etc/init.d/openfire start

JasonHendry wrote:

I have the same issue, where restarting openfire didn’t work. But stop & start did work. eg. /etc/init.d/openfire stop then /etc/init.d/openfire start

How were you doing a restart? Maybe this script wasnt doing a restart, so it didnt work. Actually when i was saying to restart i ment to restart or to stop and start. There is no difference, i think. Unless this script is doing something wrong.