Unanswered sales enquiry

Hello,

I know this really isn’t the right place to post this sort of enquiry but I haven’t had any luck getting a response from the contact from on the Jive web site. I’m trying to get some pricing for support contracts for OpenFire. My company is evaluating OpenFire for possible use in a new product and we need to get an idea of costs if we chose to purchase a support contract.

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Greg,

you will not get commercial support. You may want to browse JIRA http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/secure/Dashboard.jspa for open issues to see what you use.

Currently Jive is concentrating much more on Jive SBS than on Openfire, so you may need to debug and fix bugs for yourself if you encounter some.

LG

Hi LG,

Thanks for your very prompt reply. That is very disappointing news since it makes it a much harder decision for us to make to adopt OpenFire. The general impression I got from the Ignite Realtime site was that commercial support was available (the about page talks about realising revenue through “commerical extensions, OEM licensing or support/professional services”).

What is the relationship between Jive SBS and OpenFire? Is SBS based upon OpenFire? In which case would it potentially be possible to deploy our platform (likely to involve a set of OpenFire plugins) into SBS?

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Greg,

Jivesoftware is the company which offers both products. Jive SBS (social business software - http://www.jivesoftware.com/) is the product which is used here as a forum, so it has absolutely nothing to do with Openfire.

Jive SBS may connect to Openfire to integrate XMPP messaging with the forum - nothing more.

“*commercial support **was *available” is right. They had an “Enterprise” plugin which they made open source. The guys which did and occasionally do work on Openfire spend most of their time with Jive SBS. And Jive is currently not really interested in offering support.

This could or could not change in the future to a level which one can compare to MySQL, Redhat, JBoss, … (community and enterprise edition).

LG