Understanding OpenFire Admin Portal logs

Hi, I’m new to OpenFire. I just installed it onto CentOS63 i386 and it’s been running beautifully for the last 3 days. My only issue is understanding how to read the log files in the admin console.

I see a lot of listings that are red on white mixed in with listing that are black on white but they have no datetime stamp on them. I am assuming that a red log post means a problem, and if it is a problem, how does one troubleshoot without a datetime stamp appended?

Also, I saw this one in particular in my error log and I am not sure what it means:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler - Internal server error

Perhaps those a manual page someone can direct me to that will assist in reading these logs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The log files are easier to read in vi or something - /opt/openfire/logs. I just looked at the logs via the admin console, and I honestly can’t figure out the red/black color coding. Typically the Openfire trapped error has a timestamp and the stack trace doesn’t.

As for your IQHandler error… There should be a stack trace in the logs after that line. Post all of it, or use pastebin and link to it. Anything specific that causes the error to occur?

Thanks by the way! I took a deeper look and I see that the errors were happening whenever someone did a search for a user. It was referencing the vCard settings.

2012.07.31 14:57:56 org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider - Username not found

org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.UserNotFoundException: Username not found

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:965)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapManager.findUserDN(LdapManager.java:891)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider.getLdapAttributes(LdapVCardPro vider.java:179)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider.loadVCard(LdapVCardProvider.ja va:232)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.vcard.VCardManager.getOrLoadVCard(VCardManager.java:2 39)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.vcard.VCardManager.getVCard(VCardManager.java:232)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQvCardHandler.handleIQ(IQvCardHandler.java:1 20)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:372)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:121)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:76)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:337)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:93)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:302)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:194)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:169)

It also happens when someone creates a group in their XMPP client buddy list. Since I don’t have groups in the OU OpenFire is looking into, I assume this is a general error as its comparing the local database with AD?