Update to Openfire 4.2.1 and Spark 2.8.x

Hello all, I am very new to this and am looking for help on updating the messaging used in my office. I currently have Openfire 3.7.1 on a server and ,y uses are using Spark 2.6.3. I keep getting a message that OF 4.2.1 is available and some of my user had updated to Spark 2.8.x and that version doesn’t work properly within my organization.

My questions are: 1. Do I just DL and install the OF on my server? or are there other implications? and 2. how do I get Spark 2.8.x to work flawlessly in my org?

Please and thank you.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
R-

It won’t be easy. Your server version is ancient (6 years old). It won’t update just installing on top without issues. You can try, but it might fail. You may try downloading all the intermittent versions from https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/releases and installing them one by one. Maybe even one version per day. To see if everything works fine and fixing issues as they appear. I would say it may be easier just to scrap your server and start with a fresh 4.2.1 installation…

Spark issue is probably not related to Openfire version. But you haven’t explained what issue exactly do your users have. Btw, 2.6.3 might not work with Openfire 3.10+ versions. So you should first think about upgrading Spark.

Another option might be just to tell your users to use 2.6.3 :slight_smile:

P.S. in any case DO BACKUPS.