Updating Openfire Jetty from 7.4 to 9.1

I think you two are simply overestimating the “complexity” involved.

@csh, thanks for the links and support

Step 1.

Create an igniterealtime forum posting about the issue and discuss with stake holders and developers before raising an issue in Jira. Monitor the discussion by email and follow through to get a decision on the resolution.

Step 2.

Create a jira issue once there is agreement on the issue resolution. Explain how the issue will be resolved technically, supplying details of the planned code changes to be reviewed by peer developers. Monitor the discussion by email and follow through on the discussion to you get agreement on the implementation.

Step3

Apply code changes to local repo on your personal dev pc. Run unit tests and push changes to master repo on github when you are confident issue is resolved. Monitor github comments on your commit and follow through on the discussion till the actual code changes are acceptable by your peers in the dev team and all others concerned.

Now, you want to introduce a code review as part of step 3 before the push that requires us to have personal clones of the openfire repo on github and to push to them instead. We should then do a pull request to the master repo to trigger the code review.

Someone currently unappointed, then accepts the changes and pulls the changes into the master openfire repo. This will be done for every single issue to being fixed.

I can think of many reasons why this can become a bad idea, but I have said my last word on this subject for now.

Not sure where you took Step 1 and 2 from. I only care about Step 3.

In simple words, no (non-trival) change should went into the offical master branch without at least another developer has ack’d it in the pull request of the change.

Possible to update to 9.2.1?

Too busy at the moment to figure out how to use ALPN with 9.2.1 instead of NPN. I have also downgraded my Java from 8 to 7 for now. If you or anyone else has a pull request, I am happy to do the merge