Upgrade from 2.6.2 to 3.01 questions

Hello all:

I’‘m looking to upgrade our Wildfire server from 2.6.2 to 3.01. I wanted to inquire about any advice you may have to help with this process as this is a production box. I’'m new to the Wildfire Server so any help/comments are appreciated. My initial thoughts are to back up the embedded-db and conf directories and install the new version.

Currently I am running:

RHEL 3 kernel 2.4.21-40

MySQL 3.23.58

MySQL-AB JDBC Driver

mysql-connector-java-3.1.12 ( $Date: 2005-11-17 15:53:48 +0100 (Thu, 17 Nov 2005) $, $Revision$ )

Search plugin

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

are you using the embedded database or MySQL? You should make a backup of the database(s) you are using and of conf/wildfire.xml.

As Wildfire may update the database schema you’'ll need the backup if you want to switch back to the old version.

LG

I don’‘t remember exactly what upgrade required MySQL 5, but I’'m fairly certain it was from 2.6.2 to 3.0. So my recommendation would be to upgrade to the latest stable MySQL version, then upgrade Wildfire.

Dan

Hi Dan,

right, MySQL 3 is not supported so one may hit problems.

LG

http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/documentation/database.h tml#mysql

Make sure that you are using MySQL 4.1.18 or later (5.x recommended) ¹.

¹ Character fields larger than 255 are not supported by versions prior to MySQL 4.1.18. If you cannot upgrade MySQL to the latest version, you will then need to change the database scripts. In particular, replace VARCHAR(1024) with VARCHAR(255) in the resources/database/wildfire_mysql.sql script.

Thanks to all who have replied. I sincerely appreciate the advice. I will post my results/questions as I move along with the upgrade.

sorry…I believe that MySQL is being used at the moment. In my first post there are the wildfire server characteristics that comprise the installation as it stands.

Looks like I will need MySQL 4.1.18 or later…already have MySQL 3.23 database set up…so i will need to backup existing db and wildfire conf.xml files…first upgrade mysql to latest and then wildfire…inserting conf.xml file back in?