Upgrade from 3.3.1 to 4.1.1 then move to new server

Seems like upgrading to 4.1.1 if I’m using the embedded DB is pretty straight forward as after I backup the DC just install over the top and it should open and retain all the settings. Question #2 is how can I move the Openfire to a diff server as we plan on decommissioning the one it’s currently on?

Depends on your setup. If you are using embedded db with local users (not LDAP or some other provider), then just install Openfire on a new server, copy database over and run it.

Should I upgrade it to the new version prior to moving it or that does not matter? Also, do I need to go through the setup wizard on the new server or I can install, stop service, copy over DB, start service and all users and settings will carry over? I know it’s basic but want to be sure I get it right the first time around.

Technically it doesn’t matter. But i would first upgrade on the old server (doing a backup first). Then i would only install it on the new server (installing the service, but not starting it yet). Then i would just copy the whole Openfire folder (with the database) over the new installation and then run the service.

Thanks for the details. I’ll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I can do this Friday.