Upgrade to 3.9.1 fails on some servers

I’m an IT Consultant in Brazil, and in charge of a number of Openfire installs; while trying to upgrade my customers to version 3.9.1, I have encountered a puzzling situation:

All of them are running 64 bit versions of Windows Server 2008, and on some - but NOT all of them - the Openfire installer does **not **actually upgrade the installed version on the **C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire **directory, but instead installs a NEW, blank instance of the app on the C:\Program Files dir (which is reserved for 64 bit programs).

This occurs even though, on the initial page of the setup procedure, 100% of the installers do (or seem to) detect the existing installation and present the option to upgrade preselected: it is the actual upgrade that is flawed, as mentioned above.

I’ve been upgrading all these servers without issues for the past few versions, this is the first time I’ve encountered this; I have tried manualy removing any references to the C:\Program Files\Openfire folder sprinkled throughout the Windows registry (the botched upgrade adds this folder to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ej-technologies\install4j\installations key, together with the correct C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire one), in order to fool the installer, to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this? How can I force an upgrade of the correct directory, without losing data?

Best regards,

Marcello

São Paulo - SP - Brazil