powered by Jive Software

Upgrading and DB issues

Greetings all!

We use Spark and Openfire at the office … and currently our server is still running 4.2.4 on a really old version of Mint.

I thought it was high time to ugprade, so I’m doing some testing. I’ve downloaded and installed the Ubuntu, have openfire installed, and it seems to be working.

Now … on the old openfire server I simply dumped the DB to a .sql file, moved it over to our mysql server, imported it, and when running the setup for Openfire linked it. It all works, users and everything show up!

However, history and archive are not … and I think I figured out why. On the old server (which, I did not configure and build and install), the xmpp.domain is set to 127.0.0.1. The server hostname is set to “localhost”. Again, let me reiterate that I DID NOT setup this server, but I need to fix it.

I can, with the monitoring plugin search the archive for "username@127.0.0.1" and it will show the history, so I know the data is in the DB and it’s all working. I can also go to the xmpp.domain setting and change it from the hostname (srv-spark01) to 127.0.0.1 and it work, but then nothing else does etc.

I assume, and it’s a big assumption, that I need to go through the db and anything that says username@127.0.0.1 change it to be username@srv-spark01 … or, when we do move into production with the new server, whatever name we call it.

Any advice? :slight_smile:
Thank you!
~wangel

Your assumption is right; you need to go through the db and anything that says “127.0.0.1” change it to be “srv-spark01”. You can use User Import Export plugin for exporting/importing and migrating users & their roster information.

1 Like

I think you’re mostly right in your assumptions. It will be tricky to migrate this properly. There is a good chance that you’ll find yourself having to start with a blank server instead.

It is good to conceptually be aware of the distinction between the hostname of the server that is running Openfire, and the XMPP domain name.

The XMPP domain name is that what’s part of the JID (username@xmppdomainname). It can match the hostname of the server that’s running Openfire, but it does not need to. By configuring DNS SRV records, you can map the XMPP domain name to one (or more) servers.

Using IP addresses makes for a brittle solution. I strongly advice against that. It goes without saying that using ‘localhost’ or ‘127.0.0.1’ is possibly the worst thing you can configure for an application that is supposed to run on a network.