User Resource Management

Hello all,

Is there a way to allow multiple logins from the same resource?

The goal is to be able to log into the same user account from multiple devices but only appear once in a conference room.

Right now I can log into the conference room from multiple systems but a unique resource is required. This means I appear in the room twice and if someone tries to send me a whisper message directly, the message goes to the device based on the resource ID.

Is this possible to setup using Openfire?

It is not possible in XMPP to login twice with the same resource.

Openfire supports joining a room more than once with the same nickname since 3.9.2 [OF-103] [MUC] Allow nicknames to be used more than once in the same room - IgniteRealtime JIRA

But i think participants list and message handling is more a client responsibility. E.g. Spark shows only one entry in the list of participants. Also in the latest builds it is fixed, so it shows messages sent from one client on both sides [SPARK-1743] MUC nickname sharing fails. - IgniteRealtime JIRA

But there are still problems with private messages [SPARK-1762] Private chat do not work when joined the room with two clients - IgniteRealtime JIRA

So, i think that depends on the client you are using.

E.g. i can join the chat with the same nickname from Xabber (Android client), but it doesn’t show messages that i send from Spark. Spark on the other hand shows messages sent from Xabber. So, Xabber is not supporting this feature completely.