User Search using LDAP

I have configured the Jive Messenger to use LDAP

I tried to search the user using email address in jabber client, but it returns nothing

i can see the email address when I do a user search in admin page

here is my config:

ldap.abc.com

sAMAccountName

displayName

mail

DC=abc,DC=com

CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=abc,DC=com

What went wrong?

Thanks

Hi baronng!

Jive Messenger not support JEP-0055 now. http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/message.jspa?messageID=94366#94366

Hi baronng/Andrey ,

Just a small point of clarification, the plugin in the thread that you linked to, while extremely useful, is not an implementation of JEP-55.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi ryang!

Thanks, I have perfectly understood it.

Have You finished work with plugin implementation of JEP-0055?

Hi Andrey,

The plugin is actually done but it doesn’'t work with the latest official release of Messenger (2.1.1), it does however work with the latest cvs builds. As I mentioned in url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=95406&this[/url] thread there are plans to provide a place for people download plugins. Once the downloads are available people who are willing to compile source builds of Messenger, or wait until the next official release of Messenger, will be able to use the search plugin.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Many thanks, ryang!

so, in short

after installing the plugin

we should able to search for user from jabber client (e.g. exodus, psi, etc.) ?

then i hope the coming release with such plugin would be available soon

as user searching at client end is very useful

Thanks!

Baron

so, in short after installing the plugin

we should able to search for user from jabber client

(e.g. exodus, psi, etc.) ?

Yup, you got it.

that’'s cool

looking forward for the new build with plugin

thanks

Just to whet people’'s appetites a bit more here are some screen shots. Enjoy!

Oh!

this is exactly what I’'m looking for!

come on!

release this build asap!

thanks!

Hi All,

I wanted to post a quick message to let people who might only be following this thread that Messenger 2.1.2 was url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=14185&tstart=0announced[/url] yesterday, which means that the url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/messenger/plugins.jspplugins[/url] page now has the search plugin available for download.

Thanks to Matt and Gato for all their help and I’'m real curious to hear what people think of the search plugin, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks a lot for your plugin. I’'ve installed it and it is awesome. It also works when i use ldap auth (active directory).

A small improvement in my point of view would be that you add asterisks before and after the search query automatically. Usually when I look for someone like say, Guybrush Threepwood, i would type threepwood or guybrush and press enter. Using your plugin, i have to type either threepwood* or guybrush in order to get the result i want.

If this is a limitation of my client (exodus), then sorry for barking at the wrong tree…

regards,

Fabio

mod parent +1

I agree with Fabio on this one. Autowildcards would definately be a useful feature for my user base.

Hi Fabio,

I’'m glad the plugin is working well for you. You can thank Matt for adding changes to the core Messenger code that optimized the searching of ldap, and databases for that matter.

Your suggestion for auto-wildcards is an interesting one. I have a feeling that this is one of those cases where if the default behavior was changed half the people would applaud and the other half would boo. I think the best way to handle this would be to add a way to configure the default behavior via the admin console. I’'ll add this feature to my todo list.

Thanks,

Ryan

Interestingly enough, the database search code is already using auto-wildcards. This is becauase ldap does a better job with searching than databases do (at least generically – each database usually has a good proprietary way to search). So, for the query “foo”, that gets turned into the db query “LIKE ‘’%foo%’’”. Since LDAP supports wildcards in a better way, there is no auto-wildcard behavior like with the db code. I personally don’'t thing auto-wildcard is a good default. Doing a search for “s” will turn up all results with the letter s in them, which is a bit non-intuitive.

-Matt

Good points Matt. A worse case scenario is what would happen if somebody didn’‘t enter anything at all, that could yield a whole lot’‘o hits. I guess that’'s where having the ability to set limits on the minimum number of search characters/the maximum results could come in handy.

A worse case scenario is what would

happen if somebody didn’'t enter anything at all, that

could yield a whole lot’'o hits.

Well, the search code in UserManager does protect against that already at least.

I guess that’'s where

having the ability to set limits on the minimum

number of search characters/the maximum results could

come in handy.

Yeah, that would be good stuff to have.

-Matt

ryang, the plugin is great! Congratulations!

It works with Exodus, but isn’'t working with psi client. Why?

TIA.

Hi mario123,

ryang, the plugin is great! Congratulations!

Thanks!

It works with Exodus, but isn’'t working with psi

client. Why?

Good question, it was working at one point. I’'ll look into it and report back what I find.

Thanks,

Ryan