Username is converted to lower case during registration

Greetings,

Currently I am running Wildfire 3.0.1 with a postsgres database.

I have noticed that Wildfire appears to put username to lower case when registering an account from a client say GAIM. What is odd is that during login username is not converted to lower case.

Is there a plug-in or an option somewhere that I can either have the server toLower all names during login or disallow people from registering with a username that contains upper case characters?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi,

Spark does seem to convert it to lower case, there is also an issue with where one must enter the user name in lower case according to http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=21368.

LG

So is it the client’'s responsibility to send all username in lower case, or is this specific to Wildfire?

http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3920.html

In addition to all defined requirements with regard to security, XML usage, and internationalization, a server MUST support the following core protocols in order to be considered compliant:

Application of the Hoffman, P. and M. Blanchet, Nameprep: A Stringprep Profile for Internationalized Domain Names (IDN), March 2003., Nodeprep,…

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3454.txt (Noteprep / Stringprep):

These tables map from uppercase to lowercase characters.

So it seems to be a bug, anyhow I can’‘t confim as I don’'t have a GAIM client arround.

LG

Hi,

the server should behave like defined in the specs according to Gato.

And there’'s should be no problem with GAIM 1.5 so I may ask: Which GAIM versoin are you using?

Can you login using lower case, open the debugger, logout and try to login using an upper case user name? And then remove the password/user/domain and post the log either here or send it to Gato along with a reference to this thread?

LG

Greetings,

I think the majority of people use GAIM 1.5, some on windows some on linux.

I did not know Wildfire had a debugger, I will look for that.

If I can get the filter correct I could take an ethereal trace.

Thanks,

Martin

Greetings,

I did a registration with clear text and the ethereal trace showed my registration with usename “Martin”. GAIM reported success.

The user roster showed a user “martin” registered.

The debug log does not say very much it just shows a connection from the client machine. I will investigate debug levels to see if anything more will get printed.

the warning log said this when I tried to log in with username of “Martin”

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.validateClientResponse(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.evaluateResponse(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SASLAuthentication.handle(SASLAuthentication.java :248)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReadingMode.authenticateClient(SocketReadin gMode.java:117)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.readStream(BlockingReadingMod e.java:136)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.run(BlockingReadingMode.java: 62)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:123)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: org.jivesoftware.wildfire.user.UserNotFoundException: Martin

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.XMPPCallbackHandler.handle(XMPPCallbackHandler.ja va:73)

… 8 more

I hope this helps some.

Thanks,

Martin

Hola Martin,

I just checked in a fix for JM-811. The bug fix will be available in the next nightly build version. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

– Gato

Thanks

I installed 3.1.0 today and created a user with upper case user name and was able to log in with the upper case user name.

looks like the problem I saw was resolved in the 3.1.0

Martin

Cool. Nice to see problems going away.

Regards,

– Gato