Users at other office get dropped

I have one server setup for two offices. The two offices are connected via VPN over a T1. When the remote users are logged in they get dropped after a certain amount of time. At the office where the server is located this never happens. The log says that the connection is closed because it is potentialy dead. Is there a way around this?

Hi,

I wonder if your VPN terminates idle TCP connections after n minutes of if you have also a firewall in between which does this.

Wildfire itself uses an idle timeout of 30 minutes (xmpp.client.idle = 30 * 60 * 1000) but I expect that you must modify the client (maybe Spark?) to send keepalive packets more often.

LG

Ok, yes I am using the spark client. How would one modifiy this to send the packets more often.

Hi,

this is defined within Smack. You should have a smack.jar in Spark/libs/ and within the archive a META-INF/smack-config.xml file but I’'m not totaly sure about this - it acutally depends on the used Smack version.

There keepAliveInterval with 30000 ms, so Spark should send every 30 seconds a keepalive packet. So it makes no real sense to send this more often. Otherwise you’'ll flood the network link with keepalives.

So I wonder if you should decrease the xmpp.client.idle within Wildfire to 5 minutes and verify that the clients are then desconnected after five idle minutes.

A TCP dump / network sniffer and a plain Spark connection may help a lot to identify the problem, which seems to be a network problem.

LG