Users not showing in Online list

Maybe try this tomorrow:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/ann.jspa?annID=1

So, after discussing this with Derek in today’‘s live chat, we have only one idea. That you’‘ve had some shared group once, with all users (which are now in separate groups). When you have deleted this group, but somehow it get stuck in your roster. So now, when you add new users it’'s naturally that they dont appear in this group, because they have never belonged to it.

Dont know how to fix that “feature” though. Is this group is showing up in every Spark client or just in yours? Maybe you should try to clean reinstall your Spark.

Ugh…this is just getting frustrating.

My Spark (and every version I install) has an Online and an Offline list. So does everyone else at my company that installs it.

I’'ve never made a group that was one big shared group. Originally I just added people to the Wildfire server. Once they were on there and online, they appeared in the Online list.

From there, I made the 11 seperate groups that I have now. Users that were created at the prior to the time I made those groups appear in the groups they are supposed to and in the Online list.

Every user I create after I created my 11 groups does not appear in the Online list, but will appear in the proper group.

Why the heck I am the only person in the world with this Online list? It isn’'t a group I can see in Wildfire. I have always had it in Spark in every version I install.

I need to either get rid of the Online list, or make people appear in it.

I’'ve never made a group that was one big shared group. Originally I just added people to the Wildfire server. Once they were on there and online, they appeared in the Online list.

Are you saying that you were able to see online users even when no group was created and shared? Dont understand how is it possible.

Can you try to login with some other clients? Exodus, Psi, Gaim, etc.

I dont have a clue, just guessing. What will happen if you unshare all 11 groups? Must be an empty roster or some empty Unfilled “group”.

What DB are you using? And maybe LDAP?

Hi,

are you using an old Wifi/JM version? Maybe it was a feature of Jive Messenger?

LG

Yes, I can see everyone in the system even if I have no groups on the server. I have a list of online and offline people at all times. Are you saying that unless you make a group and assign people to it, you can’'t see them online?

I don’‘t have any other clients, but I suppose that I could. However, this specific problem is with Spark. Using another client isn’'t all that helpful as we are using Spark as our IM client here.

I could try to unshare all the groups, but I would assume I will just see the Online and Offline lists.

Using SQL Server No LDAP

Nope, newsest version (2.6.1) of Wildfire.

Yes, I can see everyone in the system even if I have

no groups on the server. I have a list of online and

offline people at all times. Are you saying that

unless you make a group and assign people to it, you

can’'t see them online?

Yes, normally you dont see users which were only created on server and not assigned to any group. Of course you can add all of them to your client’'s roster manually. Or you can use Registration plugin which will put all new users to a desired group automaticly upon registering.

I don’'t have any other clients, but I suppose that I

could. However, this specific problem is with Spark.

Using another client isn’'t all that helpful as we

are using Spark as our IM client here.

I mean only for testing purpose. I’'m just curious whether other clients will show this Online group too.

I could try to unshare all the groups, but I would

assume I will just see the Online and Offline lists.

You can try everything you think up. This probably wount help, but wount hurt either.

i downloaded the latest versions of wildfire and spark from the web site on 4/26/06.

i installed wildfire on a sme7 system, created 14 users and 1 group called everyone.

i loaded spark on 2 xp pro pc’'s and logged in with 2 of the users luther and receptionist.

luther shows receptionist online, receptionist doesn’'t show luther online. when receptionist exits spark, luther still shows receptionist online. luther exits spark and logs back in and still shows receptionist online. looking at the sessions window, only luther shows to be online.

i was able to create a new user, jack, from spark, it showed up on the server, i added jack to the group everyone. luther show this user as online. the user jack shows receptionist online, but it’'s really not there.

luther exited spark and jack still shows luther online.

i log in with clayton, and he shows jack online. jack shows clayton, luther and receptionist online. the client session screen shows jack and clayton online.

it seems that most times you have to exit spark and go back into it to see who’‘s really online and who isn’'t. not a good situation.

Derek (ddman) -

Have you seen this behavior anywhere else? Any idea what could be causing me to have some odd listing of all the users online?

Message was edited by: ewto16

I noticed that with XP version of Spark, if I just use the pulldown and logoff, the user will stay online. If I EXIT the user will go offline.

I see these strange user online/offline issues too using the internal database. I was so ready to go to wildfire + spark until I encountered all the inconsistent issues.

jp

Hi jp,

So it looks like it’'s taking some time for the server to notice the socket was closed. The logout does not explicitly close the connection, which I will go ahead and fix for the next release.

Thanks for the report

Derek

Derek,

When might we expect the next release with this fix you mentioned to be posted for download on the site?

Great work, love the product. Just dying to get beyond the Spark Presence Logoff issue.

Thanks.

Ross

Having the same basic issues here on an xp client/2003 server based system with wildfire 2.6.2 and client 1.1.4

Users show up as offline or stay stuck as online once they log off or exit, or worse yet don’'t show up at all when using the shared groups.

If anyone can point me to some sort of intrem solution I’'td be freakin fantastic as this software is perfect except for this issue (however this issue makes the contact lists impossible to manage from a central location which is the whole reason Im looking at new chat software for my company).

Message was edited by: jasonrsecmed

Just a quick update here - Ran a bunch of trial and error tests and these issues with the user continuing to show up as online or not showing up online or at all when they should seems to only occur if the groups have been edited or users have been added since the service was restarted.

Basically the work around seems to be restart the service after you change anything…or at least its working for me for now.