User''s personnal informations

Hi,

I am developping a XMPP application in order to replace an old chat application. As a consequence, I search differences between XMPP features and our software, and, currently, especially differencies about user’‘s profiles. But, I haven’‘t understood yet which user’'s informations are available thanks to XMPP and, moreover, how they could be stored on a XMPP server.

Could you tell me where I could find infos (a list of user’'s datas fields for example) about this in Smack or where I could find infos on the RFCs to implement my own solution in Smack.

Thanks,

Seb

Hey Seb,

You may want to take a look at url=http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0054.htmlvCards[/url]. FYI, vCard is a historical JEP and there has been some conversations in the XMPP forums about future replacements.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks, but does Smack API support vCards?

In fact, I saw on Jabber.org (http://www.jabber.org/admin/jsc/) that Jive messenger does not support vCards but I found classes dealing with vCards in its API specs. So, if Jive products support vCards, you should inform Jabber.org ;); and if they do not, which technology do they rely on for user’'s data exchange (maybe the replacement you noticed? where could I find documentation?) ?

Hi

As I know there is a jabber:iq:private namespace which is used to store user’'s personal data. But this data will be only visible for its owner.

If you want to store a valuable amount of data which should be visible for others you should consider to use MySQL and create a component to your jabber server which enables communication with that data.

So, you said you found a way to process vCards in Smack ? Could you please direct me to how to implement this ?

Thanks.

Hey Dmitry,

Jive Messenger has suppor for vCards but there is no official support of vCards in Smack. However, both Smack and Messenger have support for iq:private data.

– Gato

Hiya,

I implemented the vcard spec for Smack:

ftp://anonymous%40tragicroundabout.info:n@ftp.tragicroundabout.info/vcard0_2.t ar.gzn@ftp.tragicroundabout.info/vcard0_2.tar.gz

HTH,

Pheet

Gaston >> You said before that v-cards could be replaced by another mechanism. Would you mind giving us more details about that? Would it be implemented in Smack?

You said before that v-cards could be

replaced by another mechanism. Would you mind giving

us more details about that? Would it be implemented

in Smack?

At the moment, there are no JEPs to replace vcard, although everyone keeps saying it will happen “any day now”. When there is a new spec, Smack will support it.

Regards,

Matt

Hey Pheet,

Would you like to contribute your code to Smack? We would love to include it as part of the official product. Obviously, you will appear as the contributor of the code. Our intention is to release Smack 1.5.0 during this week so you code could be included.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks,

– Gato

Hiya Gato,

Sure thing! I’'d be hounoured!

After chatting with synic the other day, I should probably rename the methods so they’'re a more standard coding style (no "-"s).

Cheers,

Pheet

Sure thing! I’'d be hounoured!

Awesome.

After chatting with synic the other day, I should

probably rename the methods so they’'re a more

standard coding style (no "-"s).

Ok. You may also want to add method comments to the methods that don’'t have one as well as format the existing ones with our formatting style. Other than that the code looks great.

Thanks,

– Gato

Where is pheet these days?