VPS, Java and problems starting Wildfire 3.0.1

There have been several posts about problems with wildfire on VPS setups. I’'ve followed most of the tips found in the various forum to no avail. Among the things I have tried are

a) setting INSTALL4J_ADD_VM_PARAMS=’’-Xms8m -Xmx16m’’

b) overrding INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME_OVERRIDE=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0_06-sun

and even

c) commenting out exit 83 and adding the $app_home variable

None of those helped and they seemed really voodoo anyway since the physical memory size shouldn’'t be an issue here and the problem seemed rooted in Wildfi having difficulty allocating memory for the JVM in the first place. BTW, I am using the standalone version with JRE.

Finally, my friendly VPS tech support pointed out that there is this .hotspotrc file that sets the heap size found in the directories that allow java to run (!?). I guess this is a VPS deal. I copied a .hotspotrc file into /opt/wildfire/bin and into /opt/wildfire/jre/bin and then tried to run /opt/wildfire/bin/wildfire again.

There was more success this time. It looked like it found the right JVM right away and it passed the initial test that was causing it to hang before. However when I do ./wildfire start, I get a new problem as reported in nohup.out.

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Cannot allocate memory

at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.FirstRun.firstRun(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.FirstRun.checkFirstRun(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)

Could not reserve enough space for code cache

Could not reserve enough space for code cache

Anyone have any ideas?

Seems like VPS are getting quite popular these days, would be great to get some real insights as to what is actually wrong here.

Best and TIA

Hi,

VPSs are likely not designed to run a VM. So you still get OutOfMemory errors and there is little you can do. Stop apache and other processes to free some memory, how much memory does your VPS have?

LG

OK. I think I have sorted out most of the issues. The VPS seems fine, it looked like I need to put the .hotspotrc file with the line

MaxHeapSize=64000000

in /opt/wildfire/bin so that it would allocate VM memory for the process. So, you VPS people out there, this might be the issue. Some have suggested a wierd linking problem but that seems a bit voodoo to me. If you are running Centos, this might help you.

HOWEVER, I now have a different issue.

The wifi process starts up fine without any errors in nohup.out and i can see it like so:

/opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java -server -Dinstall4j.jvmDir=/opt/wildfire/jre -Dinstall4j.appDir=/opt/wildfire -Dexe4j.moduleName=/opt/wildfire/bin/wildfire -classpath /opt/wildfire/.install4j/i4jruntime.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/activation.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/bo

but I can’'t seem to get to the web config screen at my.host:9090

Any ideas why that might be so? I don’'t have a firewall installed.

Hi,

interesting VPS thing, could you please post your complete .hotspotrc file or is it just a single line so one can add this to http://wiki.jivesoftware.org/ ?

Does “netstat -an|grep 9090” shows the ports open?

What log entries do you see in /opt/wildfire/logs/ ?

LG

netstat -an|grep 9090 returns:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:9090 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

So, I am assuming yes, it is open.

And yeah, it was just that one line for the .hotspotrc

all logs seem to be clear, 0k

Hi,

I wonder whether Wildfire did start if the log files do not contain a message that port 9090 is open. Could you please stop Wildfire and make sure that port 9090 is then down? If it is used by another application you may edit conf/wildfire.xml and choose another port.

Do you have wget installed? then try “wget -O - http://127.0.0.1:9090/” - this should display the content of the web page on your VPS terminal. If you get this one then it seems that there is a firewall between VPS:9090 and your computer.

LG

Success! Thanks much everyone. For those of you with provider eApps, note that eApps has a network-wide firewall and you will need to reconfig your conf/wildfire.xml file.

Hi,

so port 9090 is blocked but ports 5222 and 5269 open?

Or do you use port 443 for xmpp?

I’'m asking just out of interest to update the Wiki.

LG

it2000 wrote:

Hi,

so port 9090 is blocked but ports 5222 and 5269 open?

Or do you use port 443 for xmpp?

I’'m asking just out of interest to update the Wiki.

LG

Well, actually all were blocked and there were a few ports pre-configured to be open on my network. Here’'s what i did but YMMV:

jive server to server - 8083

jive admin - 8090

jive admin (secured) - 8091

jive client - 8442

jive SLL port client - 8443

I am considering using port 443 for xmpp too. Is that the best practice?

Thanks

Hi,

using 443 for old-SSL (5223) is acceptable as it will allow users behind firewalls and proxy servers to connect to the server. Spark does not support an SSL proxy anyhow.

LG