Welcome!

Hello All,

Welcome to the Smack discussion forum! Smack is an Open Source client library to communicate with XMPP (Jabber) servers. The home page for the project can be found at:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack

Today, beta 1 has been released. Although we believe the library to already be very high quality, there are some obvious missing pieces that will be addressed in upcoming betas:

• Roster support

• A packet filter for new chat requests from others

• Ability to create accounts, change passwords, etc.

As Smack is an Open Source project, we welcome outside contributions. Otherwise, we look forward to your feedback!

Regards,

Matt

Just thought I would take a moment and thank you for the contribution to the java community. Fantastic stuff so far and I cant wait to see it evolve…

M

PS: Had dinner with AJ Wright last night, he was back in town for a few days

Mark,

Just thought I would take a moment and thank you for

the contribution to the java community. Fantastic

stuff so far and I cant wait to see it evolve…

Thanks, and we’'re excited to hear about the interesting ways people begin to use the technology.

PS: Had dinner with AJ Wright last night, he was back

in town for a few days

Very cool, say hi to him for me!

Regards,

Matt

Hello,

One of my projects uses a modified JJC lib(javajabberc.soureforge.net) with a dispatch servlet to send and receive Jabber messages from the web. Although the pile of code works, it’'s pretty ugly. It does, however, include some registration and roster code.

My project is nearing release and I am considering re-implementing the core with Smack. Should I do this, I would love to contribute back to Smack.

Where do you see Smack going? Why was it originally created? IMHO, a good Java API is what Jabber needs to really start cooking.

PMark

(another Mark)

Although the pile of code works, it’'s pretty

ugly. It does, however, include some registration

and roster code.

If you have some good snippets, that would be cool. Otherwise, your general logic might be useful to apply to Smack.

My project is nearing release and I am considering

re-implementing the core with Smack. Should I do

this, I would love to contribute back to Smack.

That would great and your feedback/contributions would be appreciated.

Where do you see Smack going?

We hope it will continue to evolve to become a truly useful tool for those talking to Jabber servers in Java. Other interesting integration possibilities exist as well, such as having message driven beans (EJB), but driven by Jabber events instead of JMS.

Why was it originally created?

Part of the reason we created it was that we had the need for a good general purpose library and weren’‘t happy with the current solutions. Open Source is the perfect way to develop that kind of technology. Further, we’'ll soon be announcing a commercial Java Jabber server, so Smack is also a tool for those customers and to attract new customers to the server.

IMHO, a good Java API is what Jabber needs

to really start cooking.

Yep, I agree! BTW, I hope to have Beta 2 available at the end of the week or early next week. None of the roster code has been started yet, so there is much work to be done.

Regards,

Matt

Is there any plan to integrate Smack with Jive Forums?

Is there any plan to integrate Smack with Jive

Forums?

There will certainly be IM integration in Jive Forums eventually, but we’'re not quite sure what form it will take yet. One simple but cool feature would be watch notifications through IM.

Regards,

Matt

Thatz interesting.

I remember Jive 3.1 had some IM features, right? Is that is going to be part of Jabber?

Murali

Murali,

In the near future, Jive Forums will have some IM-like features such as buddy lists. Eventually, those features will be able to integrate with an IM server.

Regards,

Matt