What are the JiveRoster and JiveRosterGroup tables for?

I wanted to create private rooms within IM ala chat rooms such that users can go into a special interest room etc and converse with one another. I was wondering if that feature was being considered and also if the JiveRoster and JiveRosterGroup tables were in someway used to implement this feature.

Maybe I should ask this a different way -

1. HOW DO I DO GROUP CHATS ?

2. HOW DO I ADMINISTER GROUPS USING THE ADMIN CONSOLE ?

Hi,

The jiveRoster* tables are used to maintain user rosters (a.k.a. buddy lists) for each user account. They have nothing to do with group chat.

Currently group chat rooms are created automatically when a user decides to join one. So the first user that joins any particular group chat, will create that chat room if it doesn’'t already exist. We will be adding advanced groupchat support in a future version that supports the creation of password protected chat rooms amongst other features. However, currently chatrooms are all public and are created on demand.

This means you don’'t have to do anything, or manage anything in order to support groupchat. Just use your XMPP/Jabber client, log in to the server, and join a chatroom.

-iain