What does the system property xmpp.server.session.allowmultiple control?

Does setting the system property xmpp.server.session.allowmultiple to true allow a client user to have multiple sessions on the OpenFire server?

Do you need multiple sessions or are you just curious? Well, i have just tried registering two accounts in one Psi client, and i was able to login with both and to chat with each other (in one client). So one Psi client was having two sessions on the server. I havent set that property.

I’m mostly curious. I have a manager who has a desktop where he creates a connection to OpenFire via a Spark client and leaves that system running. He is constantly moving around and also has a laptop that he carries with him. He’d like to open a connection to the OpenFire server via a Spark client on his laptop. When he does that, the connection to his desktopSpark client gets dropped. Would setting xmpp.server.session.allowmultiple to true allow him to have multiple sessions under the same login id?

Oh, that’s what are you talking about This can be achieved with different resources. In Spark, logout and on the Login screen go to Advanced setings. There change Resource, say at laptop set it to Laptop, and at desktop to Desktop. So now sessions will look like user@server/Laptop and user@server/Desktop . Both such sessions can be connected concurrently. But only one of them will get messages. Usually session with higher priority gets messages. Openfire has some logics to determine where to send message if priorities are the same. In Spark you can set priority only for a custom status message. This is not very convenient, so i’ve created JIRA issue for that SPARK-982

Thanks. I was wondering what the purpose of the resource field was.

I have found with my testing of this feature, the priority seems to be determined by last active session. What I mean is which ever session was most recently used to login, or send a message gets the priority for incoming messages.