What features would you like to see in Spark?

In the hospital, we instantly fell in love with the spark / openfire solution! We rolled this chat system out across Medical Imaging to the various sub-departments: Xray, CT, Nuc Med, etc… Some features that would be very useful to have is the following:

Wish #1:

A group of staff in the CT group: Bill, Susie, Joe, etc… However, rather than their individual names show up in the roster, we would like these names to all correspond to a generic department: ie, CT Department, and when a message is sent to group CT department, the logged in Staff would get the message and the ability to respond.

Wish #2:

Remote support module? IE, a hook for UltraVNC, TeamViewer, etc… that if a person is having PC troubles, a simple click on the spark window would kick off a remote control window to that IP address using the remote control tool of choice.

Wish #3:

Disable broadcast for all users unless authorized- it hasn’t happened yet, but I would like to be able to disable broadcasting from groups of users.

Thank you so much for making such a cool, open source product!

jhines wrote:

Wish #1:

A group of staff in the CT group: Bill, Susie, Joe, etc… However, rather than their individual names show up in the roster, we would like these names to all correspond to a generic department: ie, CT Department, and when a message is sent to group CT department, the logged in Staff would get the message and the ability to respond.

This seems like a broadcast scenario. Maybe you can explain that better. Or you mean being able to just double click group name and send message to all group’s members that way? Or maybe you are talking about group chat (conference)? I’m not sure that first one is really feasable to implement. It’s really simple to do broadcast right now.

1. I don’t fully understand what you mean, you can make groups and such in Openfire if that’s what you’re talking about.

2. Once again, this has been debated and the issue i guess you could argue is how to get the users IP and send it across to the other person, currently Openfire does not send the IP’s between users.

3. I believe that the removal of the Openfire broadcast plugin should stop people from doing this, although you may need to double check this.

Thanks.

4 Wishes:

1. Would like to be able to receive audio notification when the window is unfocused, but no audio notification when the window is focused.

2. Would like to be able to control more (maybe everything) on the clients from the Admin Page.

3. Would like to be able to have the user enter their username/password for the MSN Connector from the client and have it saved on the server.

4. Would like to be able to push the client to users via e-mail or a website, preconfigured for autologon and with all the client options already set.

1. This is a known bug and is already in the Jira.

2. I highly doubt this will get included, you have to remember Spark/Openfire is used in public situations too.

3. This is already possible…

4. Not really a Spark issue, you can always compile your own modified version of Spark and get that across your network.

winsrev wrote:

1. I believe that the removal of the Openfire broadcast plugin should stop people from doing this, although you may need to double check this.

I think he was talking about permissions to broadcast per user. Broadcast plugin has some settings about that:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/plugins/broadcast/readme.html

But Spark has its own broadcast option which overrides Broadcast plugin settings. With Client Control plugin you can only disble Spark internal broadcasting for all users.

winsrev,

I would like to see on a **mouseover **the padlock, not only

Spark is running in secure mode, but

Spark is running in secure mode

SSL v3 connection

or

Spark is running in secure mode

TLS v1.2 connection

for example.

regards

I would lvoe to see presence support added for cisco call manager. of course, I’m not sure if this would be a spark addon or an openfire addon. either way, that feature would rock!

Presence support for cisco call manager? Would you mind elaborating a bit? Last time I was using cisco call manager it didn’t have any form of IM support in it. Is that what you are referring to?

cisco call manager has presence support which is used for the phones. Cisco also offers a call manager app for destops to view users presence.

.it would probably me more openfire requst then spark, but it would still be a great feature if it could ever get implemented.

here is a thread that talks alittle about it.

-Just- presence? No chatting except via real phone?

yep…just the addition of presence . i wouldn’t want to make voice calls or anything like that to the cisco phones…It would just be nice to see if somoene was on a call or not within spark.

Some clients can show your other online resources in your roster. E.g. Exodus can show my Spark resource as online contact, when i’m connected with both Exodus and Spark. So i can send a message to my other resource. Wonder if this can be useful.

Hi WinSrev,

I would really like to see a better history function. I think Spark should include a type element in the history XML which can specify ‘chatmessage’, ‘filetransfer’, ‘phonecall’, etc… So these actions will also be visible in the chat window when history is enabled. In the current situation you can’t see when you sent which file to who for example.

Also I would like Spark to write messages to the chat history immediately when the message is received/sent. In the current situation if Spark ‘hangs’ and unfortunately this is more than every once in a while the chat history of that session is lost.

Both these enhancements were standard in the ICQ Corporate version we migrated from (written in 1996).

Thanks for the opportunity to put our thoughts on ‘paper’.

Kind regards,

Jorre Meijrink

Hi, Jorre,

History instant saving is implemented in Nick’s patch http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/35795?start=15&tstart=0 check mine last attachment on that thread with the modified spark.jar Unfortunately i cant tell you when will this patch be incorporated. Moreover this patch is not only about history, so it will take time to polish. I was suggesting to split this patch to history and tabs parts. Also, Winsrev was planning his own Spark’s history refinement. But i dont know about his current plans.

appear offline status like msn or yahoo messenger

Thank you,

I updated my spark.jar and now I also have the TabbedPane, which is a cool feature too.

Where should I report any bugs would like to report about this specific spark.jar version?

For example, the new (user specific) chat window does not correctly position if you have the tabs at the bottom of the chat window and drag one user out.

Kind regards,

Jorre

Report your findings in that thread with the modified saprk.jar. Nick will read your reports.

Be allowed to change the default font …

Adding spell checker as plugins

Be allowed to transfert files between Spark and Empathy, iChat via the jingle protocol ???

A video chat plugin (for video conferencing) would not hurt the spark community and a multi user file transfer support would be sooo great .