What features would you like to see in Spark?

Switched from Windows to Mac. Would like to see this issue fixed in the next release:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-648

I’m running 2.5.8 on Mac OS 10.4.11

Just added this to 2.6.1, hopefully it should be fixed in that release.

Thanks!

I see that most of the people are talking about the bugs and not the new features actually

“Untabbed interface, stealing focus” this is already filed in JIRA.

As about new features. Here’s my recent poll: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/poll.jspa?pollID=1011

Most of this are already filed in JIRA. I cant choose something particular. Multi profile support (easy switching of profiles, without the need to retype login and passwords every time) and systray icon notification (FLASHING!!!:slight_smile: ) maybe.

As about gateways toolbar. Well, those icons are mostly for indication for me (gateway is working or not). So it’s good to see them all without the need to press More or sliders. Now i use only 2-4 of them, so i dont bother. But maybe i would prefer to have another toolbar.

A thought on making a “lite” version: Make most functionality from plugins. So admins could just remove plugins they dont want, but the “normal” spark will come pre-loaded with the typical stuff.

Yeah, I like that.

Well, i guess the best way to do this then is to count how many gateways are loaded, if less than 3 or 2 then show in the same toolbar, if not then generate a new toolbar.

Yeah, i agree, this is strictly about new features, there’s currently a lot of bugs in the Jira and not many new features, so, i’d like to try and push development into new areas and new features while still retaining the fact that the bugs are still there.

And System tray icon notification? you mean in terms of the spark flame itself changing colour or something when you get a new message?

winsrev wrote:

And System tray icon notification? you mean in terms of the spark flame itself changing colour or something when you get a new message?

Yes and Yes When you reseive new message, not only window should flash in taskbar. Systray icon should indicate that too. Flashing i mean changing icon color or form, until you click it or open chat window. Some time ago Spark was using chat bubble icon as main, it could be used for message notification. MSI install is still using that icon as main as i recall.

Could you make notification choices per window? And in the case of permanent group conferences, save them as preferences?

lesmikesell wrote:

Could you make notification choices per window? And in the case of permanent group conferences, save them as preferences?

what do you mean per window? chat window is already flashing upon receiving new message (if chat window is not in focus)

Yeah, i’m somewhat confused, do you mean that if you had two group chats or one to one chats you can set a custom text for the toaster popup for each room? Or have i completely missed the point?

Ug, I really don’t like the idea of multiple toolbars. Your chat client will start looking like microsoft word. Besides, you can’t predict how wide or not wide folk are going to have their contact list window so picking an arbitrary number wouldn’t really work out.

Yeah, well, i’ve slated it for 2.6.1, i think it might just be best for us to discuss this when it comes to it. and perhaps do a poll about it.

Another thought on how to deal with the toolbar/menu/slider is maybe add a collapsable side panel.

Toaster/no toaster, pop-to-front, sounds, etc., all with per-window preferences. There are some group conferences that I’d like to just park in a window and watch it go by with no notifications and others where I’d like a distinct notification - perhaps even a hook to text-to-speech.

we had been using a messenger program called quick messenger that was based off the messenger service in windows. While it was an administrative nightmare to maintain, one of the features that my execs liked about it was the predefined messages you could create. I just installed openfire and spark yesterday and I’m impressed so far, however, I’ve not been able to find anywhere where I can have people create custom responses (for example to tell an admin that one of the execs is on the phone and he will a. call them back, b. tell them to hold on, 3. take a message… Is there anyway to create custom responses and if not, is it something that can be added in a later version? Thanks. I know it seems trivial, but its one of those bells that my executive team likes about quick messenger (which I’m desperately trying to get away from)

If you rewrite Spark, make sure to include the SIP support. Unified SIP + IM is too cool of a feature to leave out, and it helps compete against MS OCS.

This is definitely one way, as i said before, perhaps a poll or even an option in the menu to switch between views.

lesmikesell wrote:

I’d like a distinct notification

Well. In that case in Preferences must be a default set of notifications for every new window. Because personally i dont need separate notifications. So i would have all windows acting the same.