What features would you like to see in Spark?

This is a bug not a new feature, i don’t really want to see anymore bug posts here.

If it’s a bug, report it to someone and it’ll go into the Jira.

jeffreyvsmith wrote:

Has this been filed already perhaps as a bug to be fixed at some point ?

SPARK-743

Hi!

May be it’ll be good if user can mark flag in menu for set conference chat window hide to systray like smal-chat-icon when user press X in window.

What about a feature like in outlook 2007, where you can right click on a group and:

Collapse all groups

Expand all groups

We have a lot of groups and it would be nice to be able to collapse them all with one click…

jeffreyvsmith wrote:

What about a feature like in outlook 2007, where you can right click on a group and:

Collapse all groups

Expand all groups

We have a lot of groups and it would be nice to be able to collapse them all with one click…

Great. I think i was always missing that deep in my mind, but it has never came to a surface to file that in JIRA I think it deserves filing it at least. SPARK-1018

My number one feature the ability to add an user to an existing conversation. Thanks!

AUDIO / SOUND Choice

A choice of which audio devices to use for recording and generating sound.

Right now, systems with multiple sound devices are, well, stuck

Bluetooth headsets / earphones would be more broadly usable – along with camera microphones and other configurations.

pf2k wrote:

My number one feature the ability to add an user to an existing conversation. Thanks!

You mean to a conference chat? Well, maybe not as convenient like in other messengers, but this is possible in Spark. You talk with someone and then you think you need a third person to join. Then you click Invite to Conference button in current chat window. The person you are talking with receives an invite. When he accepts a conference chat is created automatically and you both are in there. So then you right click in chat window roster and select Invite others. There you can specify JIDs manually or click Roster and select people there. Then send an invite.

Well, maybe Invite to a conference button should not only send an invite to a current person you are talking with but open Invites window also. There is not much sense to start a conference just with one person.

Hi,

this seems to get the longest thread. Anyhow I wonder how long one will need to wait for Spark 2.6.0 and then for a random feature.

LG

Well, 2.6.0 is going pretty well and much more stable than the previous edition, i grant it has some bugs but doesn’t every peiece of software? I’m sure it’ll be released when it’s ready (Sorry David, kind of stole your line there :stuck_out_tongue: )

I know what you are talking about but inviting to a conference, adding another user, and then copying and pasting the exisitng conversation you were having into the conference ot get the other participant(s) up to speed…Well that’s just not very user friendly…IMHO this is a huge shortcoming…I would like to at least see something where you can add another person and the exisitng conversation is automatically carried over for you.

Like in gajim ?

(maybe not the stable version, I don’t know, I use a development version)

Now, there -is- a mechanism in the MUC spec for “upgrading” a one on one chat to a multi user chat. In other words, exactly what you are referring to. Of course, the logistics of doing that in Spark’s actual code might not be easy.

Yeah, as far as I’m concerned the functionality is already there in a sense so i don’t see a real urgency for this, I’d imagine a lot more features, improvements and bug fixes will get done before this.

WinSrev, can you shed some light on that “iTunes plugin”? Maybe it was already discussed or obvious. But what is this plugin for?

SPARK-890 is basically it. I thought it would be a good idea seen as a lot of people can benefit from use and have requested this feature.

Hi

WinSrev,

If asked I would like to have two wishes:

1. Spark 2.5.8 has a bug with the re connect after the network was lost. Daniel had this fixed for 2.5.9 but I did not find it in the 2.6.0 list. That’s really annoying, since I have daliy network losses and have to reconnect manually.

2. I really loved this BLOG note: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/blogs/ignite/2008/02/19/playing-casper-i n-openfire-350 A proper support for invisible users would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Walter

Hi,

One thing that will make it easier to install Spark in Enterprise sized domains is to divide the System Settings and User Preferences in two seperate configuration files. At this moment all settings are stored in Spark.Properties which makes it difficult to prevent users from modifying the file, creating problems and calling the helpdesk to fix it.

Basically everything that should be the same within a domain (system settings like server names, port settings, etc.) should go to one file (ie spark.system.properties) and everything that you would allow an Enterprise user to change should be in another file (spark.user.properties).

I’m not sure if this was suggested earlier but I couldn’t find it in the long list of replies…

I agree with the VNC idea. Please see http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/31952

Really, if spark could just take advantage of an existing VNC Viewer client install on our desktop, that would be awesome. All it would need is an option in the preferences page where you could tell Spark where the VNC Viewer executable is located, then when you right click on a user in the roster, have a “Launch VNC connection” menu item. When clicked, spark should get the IP address of the user (it could query the server for this info), then launch the VNC Viewer with the IP address appended to the end of the string, like this: c:\path\to\vncviewer.exe {ip address}

As for the argument that this is outside the scope of what a messenger should do, well, file downloads are not messaging either, but it exists in spark…

I just know that there are a lot of people like me who have implemented openfire / spark as not only a messenger platform for our users but as a primary tech support tool for our IT departments. I set it up this year primarily to assist me in tech support requests at my school. The school wide messaging for the staff, to me WAS A SIDE BENEFIT. Since most large institutions use DHCP to assign Ip addresses, it becomes difficult to track down a users IP address if we need to access their computers. Since openfire conveniently keeps a running list of connected clients and their IP address, it seems like this would be reasonably easy to implement in spark and be of great benefit to many of us.

Wayne Campbell

winsrev,

In corporate and gov environments there is no or very limited expectation of privacy as the orginizations own thier netowrks and the computers.

Wayne