What version of mysql is supported by Wildfire 2.6.x?

On this thread http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?threadID=19116 it seems like some comments were made that, as of Wildfire 2.6.0, you must use MySQL 4.1.18 or better. Previous versions of Wildfire supported 3.23.x or better, and in fact the Wildfire documentation on databases still says that even today.

My previous message on that thread about this ran off on a tangent about what should or should not be included in the release notes/change logs.

While that’'s a worthwhile discussion, for the moment can someone please verify for me whether or not upgrading my Wildfire server to 2.6.x means that I also must upgrade my MySQL server to 4.1.x??

I really want to upgrade Wildfire but upgrading the SQL server is a much bigger deal (it’‘s used for other apps besides Wildfire) so if I need to do both I’'ll have to put off the Wildfire upgrade.

No one knows the answer to this? It doesn’'t seem like it should be a complex question!!

Hi Paul,

While that’'s a worthwhile discussion, for the moment can someone please verify for me

whether or not upgrading my Wildfire server to 2.6.x means that I also must upgrade my

MySQL server to 4.1.x??

Yes. While strictly speaking you could alter the sql scripts to ensure that no field is larger than 255 characters (the max field size of MySQL pre-4.1.18) it’'s likely to cause problems down the line.

I understand the frustration of not being able to upgrade an app due to running an older version of a database; we’'re currently going through something with having to upgrade Oracle from 8i to 10g.

If there are some features that are included with Wildfire 2.6.0 that you need you could use the embedded database for the time being and then move back to MySQL once you’'ve upgraded. Just a thought.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan.

I know that it’'s possible to have fields in mysql 3.x which are larger than 255 chars; I have other data in this same database where fields are quite a bit larger. Maybe you mean the specific types used in these tables are limited? Which types are we talking about (just curious)?

Uh-oh. This is where my lack of MySQL knowledge is going to come out.

The types of fields we’‘re talking about are varchars. For instance, if you look at the jid field in the pubsubItem table the max size is being set to 1024 (which is the maximum lengh a jid can be according to the XMPP spec). The field type could probably be changed to TEXT, which I believe is supported in MySQL 3.x and handles up to 65535 characters, you’‘ll get yourself into a situation where your database schema doesn’'t match the “official” Wildfire schema.

Historically, the Wildfire schema has remained fairly static so making those sorts of changes might not ever be a problem but it’‘s certainly something you’'d want to be careful about doing.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hey Paul,

I posted in some other thread a workaround that you can use to keep using MySQL 4.0.0 or any version prior to 4.1.18.

In a nutshell, character fields larger than 255 are not supported in your version. Therefore, you will need to change the upgrade scripts. If you are creating a new database from scratch then open resources/database/wildfire_mysql.sql otherwise open resources/database/7/wildfire_mysql.sql. And then replace VARCHAR(1024) with VARCHAR(255) and VARCHAR(4000) with TEXT.

You should then be able to keep using the old MySQL version.

Regards,

– Gato