powered by Jive Software

When the new version openfire server is expected?

Something new? Especially the license change is interesting.

Nothing new, CI problems still not solved as far as i know. 3.7.0 will have Apache license.

Is there a way to reproduce the CI problems at home? Maybe the community could help with that. I’m sure there are many people here quite familiar with CI systems.

CI stands for continual integration system. I don’t know all the details and haven’t used such system before. Jive is trying to setup one to give software maintaining and releasing to the community. There were some problems with linux and other builds. But as i understand Jive (actually one man doing it when he’s not working his primary work i think) is trying to setup a completely new server for us. So, it will take another “some time” and nobody can answer how long exactly.

Am i right that CI server is the only one that prevents new version to be released?

then it would be great to have fresh beta snapshots available, so we can test it, reports bugs and that will help you to make upcoming release better?

I think you always can checkout the current source from the rep. But this doesn’t work for production environments.


Well, it is easy to build your own “beta” if you are used to this There was a testing 3.7.0 beta build for internal testing, though i didnt have time to test it, but i test SVN versions often. And changes are being made quite often (latest was yesterday), so that 3.7.0 beta build is a bit old. Maybe later today i will upload it somewhere and give you a link.

This is what is going on. Up until now, Openfire (as all other IgniteRealtime projects) have been using the infrastructure shared with other products of Jive software. This infrastructure has been changed to accommodate Jive’s projects better. Sadly, this makes the infrastructure incompatible with IgniteRealtime projects.

Jive is kindly sponsoring new, dedicated hardware for IgniteRealtime projects. This hardware is currently being installed with the framework mentioned above. Additionally, key IgniteRealtime community members will be allowed access to these systems, allowing us to do most of the administration of those systems ourselves in the future. Currently, we’re depending on Jive employees for this.

As soon as the new infrastructure is complete, we will be able to push out the next release of Openfire.

Can’t see how can they call this forums software (SBS) an award winning, when it such full of bugs… Can’t attach a 7MB file, though it should let 20. Ok, will use other way.

As i promised, i’ve uploaded last (and the only one?) beta build, but this is not the latest code. It gives me lots of errors while launching, but seems to be working Test it and try it if you like.

Openfire 3.7.0 Beta


errors while launching? My 3.7.0 beta version launches without errors.


PS: Probably they did win some bug-awards .

it2000 wrote:

errors while launching? My 3.7.0 beta version launches without errors.

Well, it look like they are kraken related and showing in my Win Openfire Launcher

log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate class [net.sf.kraken.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender].
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.kraken.util.Log4JToOpenfireAppender
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source) …

PS: Probably they did win some bug-awards .
Most amusing today was when i was posting a message to one thread and redirected to another thread after that :smiley:

“Log4JToOpenfireAppender” - looks like Kraken supports log4j but it want’s to log via the Openfire log appender which is missing in 3.7.

One should restart the forum or update to 4.0, it seems to have some more problems like duplicate links and the creation date is out-of-order again:


Keep on the awesome work folks !!! you all are doing great jobs

Any new news on this? I am absolutely dying to get a new build of both Openfire AND Spark. With Spark, I wish they would just cut already, push out a new version and move the last few issues to the next build, the list just keeps getting longer and farther pushed out…

Otherwise great work from everyone involved in these projects. I realize is is basically being done from free contribution.


The latest news (last week) is that the servers have been shipped to the hosting provider. No news since then.

Speaking about Spark, firstly there is no “they”, only one volunteer is doing some work sometimes (and a few occasional patchers maybe). In a roadmap there are still ~30 issues opened and many of them marked as blockers and major ones. If you like what the code is now, then build it yourself and use it, but i don’t think it is ready for a release.

I wonder if we could simply set up a sourceforge page, grab an svn dump, import, and away we go.

This was proposed many times. Yet, what about the community. Personally i very dislike sf.net forums (can’t even call it forums) and other parts of it. If we can, it would be better to preserve the current system.

slicer321, we are so close. Lets give Jive a bit more time, sigh.


I was only speaking of an interim solution. I am not sure if this would be of use, in the sense that I don’t know if we are just having commit delays or if it is more involved.