Which JRE version does Red5 use?

Hi,

We are planning to test Openfire / Spark with the Red5 plugin in a pilot with 500 users. We run the pilot in our productive domain. The Red5 installation instructions mention that JRE 1.6 must be installed. However, all Windows clients in our domain use JRE 1.5x and it’s not possible to update those workstations to JRE 1.6 yet.

The Spark version that we use is the MSI with JRE 1.6 embedded. Spark seems to use this JRE 1.6 version, but I’m not sure if Red5 will use the 1.6 version as well. Is it possible to force Red5 to use the JRE 1.6 that comes with Spark and to ignore the 1.5 version that’s also installed? If so, what JRE version is used when the Red5 plugin opens the default browser?

-Patrick

Is it possible to force Red5 to use the JRE 1.6 that comes with Spark and to ignore the 1.5 version that’s also installed?

As the Red5 plugin is a Spark plugin, I think it will run in the same JVM as Spark which means 1.6.

If so, what JRE version is used when the Red5 plugin opens the default browser?

Again, the browser window is a java call from the plugin so I think it will also be from the same JVM as Spark.

However, you can double make sure by recompiling with JDK 1.5. Change the following line in the spark\claasses\c.cmd

“C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin\jar” cvf plugin-classes.jar .

to use the JDK you downloaded and run the file to compile the plugin. Do the same for spark\makejar.cmd and spark\makejar.cmd. You should have a new red5-plugin.jar file for JRE 1.5

I suspected as much but wasn’t sure. Thanks for confirming it Dele!