Wildfire 2.5.0 Released

We are proud to say that Wildfire 2.5.0 has been url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfirereleased[/url]. This new release is an important milestone since Wildfire is now 100% XMPP compliant. The new version includes support for improved file transfer, privacy lists, more performance improvements and many important bug fixes. Read the url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/wildfire/docs/latest/changelog.htmlchange log[/url] to learn the complete list of changes.

For those of you that are upgrading an existing installation, please remember to make a backup of your database since the new release includes database modifications. When Wildfire 2.5.0 is started it will check if the database needs to be updated and will automatically update it if needed. If you prefer to update the database manually you can do it. Before starting Wildfire you should apply the corresponding database script located under resources\database\upgrade\2.4_to_2.5. Note: a new table is going to be added.

Enjoy

Wildfire Team

BTW, a new version of the Search plugin has been released as well. You can download Wildfire plugins from url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire/plugins.jsphere[/url].

Enjoy,

Wildfire Team

awesome… i am upgrading tonight…

*cough on my test server first

Gato

If we want to switch back to 2.4.* after upgrade, can we use the modified DB or we need to bring back the DB from back up?

Regards,

wmhtet

Hey wmhtet,

I cannot imagine why would someone need to go to an old version. But you can safely go from 2.5.0 to an 2.4.* version since the only database modification was the creation of a new table.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi all,

installed 2.5.0 just now. It took 10 minutes including the import of old users from a JiveMessenger 2.3.1.

Couple of caveats:

• the export XML from 2.3.1 is not compatible to 2.5.0: change the top level tag from JiveMessenger to Wildfire.

• you still need to patch the wildfire script if you want to run it in foreground.

You can find my patch for the wildfire script and appropriate scripts for running Wildfire under supervise (from the daemontools package) at this page: http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2006/02/wildfire_250.html

Anyway, great software!

Hi Melo

• the export XML from 2.3.1 is not compatible to

2.5.0: change the top level tag from JiveMessenger

to Wildfire.

Yeah, root tag probably should have just been named Jive, but who could have predicted that Messenger was going to change names.

Just out of curiosity, why did you use the import/export plugin during the upgrade?

Thanks,

Ryan

upgrade went smooth… no issues thus far and I-Ball and Search plugins work… the real test will be tommorrow when the users start to get on.

There appears to be a problem with the tar.gz and zip bundles, as a number of the jar files under lib have a .pack extension.

$ tar tzf wildfire_2_5_0.tar.gz | grep pack
wildfire/lib/commons-el.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/hsqldb.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/hsqldbutil.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/jasper-compiler.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/jasper-runtime.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/jtds.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/mysql.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/postgres.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/servlet.jar.pack
wildfire/lib/wildfire.jar.pack

Cheers,

-craig

I ran into one problem during the upgrade:

I use MS SQL Server 2000 as my database, so I need to put the mssql libraries in Jive/lib before I can use the mssql jdbc connector. However, somewhere in the upgrade process these files were dropped. Wildfire of course threw a fit when trying to start, but thankfully the stack trace was easy enough to decipher. I’‘m jsut a llittle concerned that the (un)install routine deleted files not in it’‘s packing list. This is the first upgrade that’'s had this problem since 2.3.0. Might want to make a note of that in the upgrade/release notes

The files that were removed were:

lib\msbase.jar

lib\mssqlserver.jar

lib\msutil.jar

Other than that small problem, looks awesome!

There appears to be a problem with the tar.gz and zip

bundles, as a number of the jar files under lib have

a .pack extension.

Actually, not a problem/bug at all. The first time Wildfire starts up, it will unpack those files. It’'s a little bit “magical” which I never love, but it makes the downloads seriously smaller. In case anybody is interested, the code that does this is below.

Regards,

-Matt

/**

• Converts any pack files in a directory into standard JAR files. Each

• pack file will be deleted after being converted to a JAR. If no

• pack files are found, this method does nothing.

• @param libDir the directory containing pack files.

*/

private void unpackArchives(File libDir) {

// Get a list of all packed files in the lib directory.

File packedFiles = libDir.listFiles(new FilenameFilter() {

public boolean accept(File dir, String name) {

return name.endsWith(“.pack”);

}

});

if (packedFiles == null) {

// Do nothing since no .pack files were found

return;

}

// Unpack each.

boolean unpacked = false;

for (File packedFile : packedFiles) {

try {

String jarName = packedFile.getName().substring(0,

packedFile.getName().length() - “.pack”.length());

// Delete JAR file with same name if it exists (could be due to upgrade

// from old Wildfire release).

File jarFile = new File(libDir, jarName);

if (jarFile.exists()) {

jarFile.delete();

}

InputStream in = new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(packedFile));

JarOutputStream out = new JarOutputStream(new BufferedOutputStream(

new FileOutputStream(new File(libDir, jarName))));

Pack200.Unpacker unpacker = Pack200.newUnpacker();

// Print something so the user knows something is happening.

System.out.print(“.”);

// Call the unpacker

unpacker.unpack(in, out);

in.close();

out.close();

packedFile.delete();

unpacked = true;

}

catch (Exception e) {

Log.error(e);

}

}

// Print newline if unpacking happened.

if (unpacked) {

System.out.println();

}

}

/code

azink,

Thanks for the bug report. Unfortunately, there isn’‘t an easy fix. This behavior is an artifact of the .pack files. The installer doesn’'t know exactly which JAR files came with the install so we tell it to just delete all JAR files instead.

One workaround is to use the SQL Server JDBC driver that we bundle with Wildfire (JTDS). Since it ships with the server, it will always be there.

Regards,

Matt

Yeah, root tag probably should have just been named

Jive, but who could have predicted that Messenger was

going to change names.

yes, of course, but I fully support naming it something independent, even UserList. Just please , if you do change it, make sure you still accept Wildfire ok?

Just out of curiosity, why did you use the

import/export plugin during the upgrade?

I can’‘t explain it… I don’‘t trust upgrades that much, and I prefer a full install everytime. This way, I don’'t get old settings in the way, and I get to see the entire range of configuration options without having the doubt “Is this setting with the default value, or was this the value I add previously”.

Besides, by doing a clean install I get your own default values, which should be good enough for me.

In the end, installing from scratch is really fast… I don’'t mind

Best regards,

Congratulations!!!

One workaround is to use the SQL Server JDBC driver

that we bundle with Wildfire (JTDS). Since it ships

with the server, it will always be there.

Ah, I wasn’‘t aware there was a bundled connector. I’'ll look into it. Thanks again, Wildfire is looking great!

Found old database schema (2.4). Upgrading to latest schema.

Database upgraded successfully.

Wildfire 2.5.0

Admin console listening at:

http://wroot:9090

https://wroot:9091

works fine on my test installation (Windows 2000)

Hey Wroot,

That’'s nice. But what are you doing at 9PM of a Friday night updating your Wildfire server?

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

– Gato

actually it was a ~ 8PM, but Wildfire is showing +1 hour, though i have selected the right GMT zone in Admin Console :stuck_out_tongue:

finally i’'ve got some free time to read all this threads i have skipped, and waiting for a lithuanian figure skating pair short program to watch

Upgrade from Wildfire 2.4.4 to 2.5 was smooth. All is working properly so far.

I love the new Wildfire and the SOCKS5 support is great!

Just one irritating thing - the source download does not include the database upgrade scripts. Now I have to download a 5MB zip for a simple text file…

But other than that: whohoo!

Marius