Wildfire Service Locks Up

I’'m not sure where to start with this, but here is what is happening:

I restart the server that is hosting wildfire and everything works ok for about a day. Then clients who try to log in to the system (they are using the latest exodus version) it says connected but times out with authentication. If I then go into the admin wepage for Wildfire and click “Stop” it never stops. I can look at the Wildfire service and it say stopping (this is Win2K btw) but it will never stop until I reboot the server. If I try to stop the service from w/in

the services management tool it say access denied.

Any ideas? What log files would help in troubleshooting this.

thanks in advance for the help,

Mark

From error.log:

2006.06.06 15:29:59 [org.jivesoftware.wildfire.privacy.PrivacyListProvider.loadDefaultPrivacyList(P rivacyListProvider.java:168)

] Error loading default privacy list of username: sloyed

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

• BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.SocketException

MESSAGE: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

STACKTRACE:

java.net.SocketException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.java:156)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.(Connection.java:1485)

at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:266)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.createCon(ConnectionPool.java:437)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.getCon(ConnectionPool.java:410)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:137)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider.getConnection(DefaultConnec tionProvider.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:100)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.privacy.PrivacyListProvider.loadDefaultPrivacyList(Pr ivacyListProvider.java:156)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.privacy.PrivacyListManager.getDefaultPrivacyList(Priv acyListManager.java:106)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.roster.Roster.broadcastPresence(Roster.java:521)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.broadcastUpdate(Presenc eUpdateHandler.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:96)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:153)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PresenceRouter.handle(PresenceRouter.java:92)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PresenceRouter.route(PresenceRouter.java:61)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.processPresence(SocketReader.java:44 5)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.ClientSocketReader.processPresence(ClientSocketRe ader.java:56)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:119)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• END NESTED EXCEPTION **

Last packet sent to the server was 0 ms ago.

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:2621)

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.(Connection.java:1485)

at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:266)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.createCon(ConnectionPool.java:437)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.getCon(ConnectionPool.java:410)

at org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.getConnection(ConnectionPool.java:137)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider.getConnection(DefaultConnec tionProvider.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:100)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.privacy.PrivacyListProvider.loadDefaultPrivacyList(Pr ivacyListProvider.java:156)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.privacy.PrivacyListManager.getDefaultPrivacyList(Priv acyListManager.java:106)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.roster.Roster.broadcastPresence(Roster.java:521)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.broadcastUpdate(Presenc eUpdateHandler.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:96)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:153)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PresenceRouter.handle(PresenceRouter.java:92)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PresenceRouter.route(PresenceRouter.java:61)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.processPresence(SocketReader.java:44 5)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.ClientSocketReader.processPresence(ClientSocketRe ader.java:56)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:119)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This stack trace is telling us that Wildfire lost its connection to your database. Is there a reason your database is being restarted or dying? At the moment, the Wildfire connection pool is not very tolerant of database failures. We’'re working to improve this, but I would recommend figuring out why your database is going down.

Regards,

Matt

Hey Mark,

The original problem seems to be a connectivity issue as described in “java.net.SocketException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect”. Check out that the database is still running (with its listeners), that there is no firewall closing idle connections or that there is no network interruption service.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks for taking time out to reply, i appreciate it. I did find this in the mysql logs:

060606 15:28:20 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Forcing close of thread 49 user: ‘‘jabberadmin’’

060606 15:28:20 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Forcing close of thread 48 user: ‘‘jabberadmin’’

060606 15:28:20 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Forcing close of thread 47 user: ‘‘jabberadmin’’

060606 15:28:20 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Forcing close of thread 46 user: ‘‘jabberadmin’’

060606 15:28:20 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Forcing close of thread 45 user: ‘‘jabberadmin’’

060606 15:28:20 InnoDB: Starting shutdown…

060606 15:28:23 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 1352683132

060606 15:28:23 C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin\mysqld-nt: Shutdown complete

This erro occured at the same time as the wildfire error i posted. I’'m not sure what this indicates. Perhaps the only active connections were from wildfire. Do you think perhaps my wildfire database is corrupt?

Thanks Again,

Mark

Currently the database is on another server. I can’'t really mess with that server because it is mission critical. I think I am going to setup an instance of mysql on the same server as Wildfire. Do you guys recommend any specific version of mysql?

thanks

Mark

I would recommend using the latest MySQL version (5.*). Anyway, I would still recommend checking why the other database is being shutdown. I cannot think of any reason how Wildfire would trigger that problem. From the logs it seems that it was a normal shutdown operation performed by MySQL.

Regards,

– Gato

The server that hosts the database now also hosts a legacy application that quite honestly is a lot of trouble. As a result, the server is restarted several times a week. So, perhaps the

restarting of that server is causing the issues? I figure that if they are on the same server, if it is restarted both wildfire and mysql we be restarted.

thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the help. All is well now.