Will a new version of Spark be released?

Hello,

I check in every so often to see if Spark 2.6 has been released.

Spark 2.6 seems to have gone the google route of being in a permanant beta state.

Is there an issue with stability? Or is the final version of 2.6 awaiting for some new features to be implemented?

Is the testing effort required to release a new version more work than the devlopers have time for?

Thanks,

Vance

Well, it will take long to tell the whole story behind. But i’ll just say that Spark is alive and some work is done all the time. Small and big changes. Currently there is only one community member doing the developing. Jive is not working with Spark anymore. You can always test with latest version by compiling the source or checking this document http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1822 for the installers.

Eventually i think (i hope) there will be a new release, but i can’t give you any date.

Hello Wroot,

Thanks for the reply.

The meaning of nightly build, alpha, beta, preview and release canidate versions of software have become muddled.

No application of any complexity is ever bug free.

How would you rank the stability of 2.58, 2.6b2, and the latest builds?

One advantage of a single developer is that quality control is easier to manage.

If there was a general concensus that the latest builds are about as stable as 2.58 then I might consider giving it a try.

However, if the latest builds are buggy like traditional alpha or beta software then I’ll wait.

Thanks,

Vance

I think they are all similar in the stability. I mean, that Spark always had some issues with that. Well, it’s not crashing, but often it would lock up or freeze a bit. But that also depends on a machine and resources. I’m often experiencing such issues at work with the older computer with 2.6.0 (and previous versions). But it works fine at home on a newer and more powerful box with 2.5.8, 2.6.0 and latest SVN version. Windows XP on both. Could be some software conflict though.

We are going to check out the changelog and if we see anything that is useful in our situation we are going to give it a try.

Our application is to use it for our 500 call center Agents to communicate with their supervisors.

Thanks,

Vance

In case you didnt find it this is the current roadmap/changelog of the latest svn version http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK?report=com.atlassian.jira.plug in.system.project:roadmap-panel Though probably it’s not complete and some under the hood changes are not reflected there.

Cool!

Thanks,

Vance