Windows messenger client support

Hi,

I have been researching an IM server alternative to MS’'s live communication server, i want to intergrate with active directory, provide auto added contacts to users (new users see all the people in the office), and work with Windows messenger so it can make use of all the smart tags embedded in the office applications which greatly improve productivity.

Are there any hacks to enable windows messenger to connect to a wildfire server? Does anyone know of any server solutions that will take to windows messenger clients?

Hey,

MSN Messenger uses a proprietary protocol so (AFAIK) you cannot use it with any XMPP server. However, an alternative would be to modify your XMPP client to be integrated with your office products. Depending on your needs you may want to do the integration on the server.

One of the extensions we were planning to add to Spark was integration with Outlook Calendar (and maybe Lotus notes). Feel free to send us a private email if you want to discuss any of these alternatives which may be developed through our Professional Services department.

Regards,

– Gato

Hi Gato,

I know windows messenger used to use .net and that is a proprietary protocol, however windows messenger 5.1 + uses SIP. Indeed Microsofts own IM server (live commuinication server) is entirely SIP based.

Although i would love to just “replace” Windows messenger, its because its embedded in the operating system that it is so useful. IE, other applications use it, such as the web based sharepoint (with smart tags), Outlook contacts, etc etc.

I applaud what you are doing, just hoped to essentially replace Live communication server with an OSS project so we could play with it more. (that and in my opinion LCS is a piece of &#(!)…

Are there any other servers that would support a SIP based messenger you know of?

Not really on-topic, but I think it is always useful to spread the word about what Microsoft’'s marketing division calls “innovation”:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/runarj/blogView?showComments=true&entry =3324589079

Maybe you should take a look at the really[/b] innovative software, like Abiword:

http://uwog.net/news/?p=29

Great stuff, i wish we could go all linux on the desktop. Unfortuantly in maritime engineering, most of the packages are windows only.

Although i would love to just “replace” Windows

messenger, its because its embedded in the operating

system that it is so useful. IE, other applications

use it, such as the web based sharepoint (with smart

tags), Outlook contacts, etc etc.

There are Jabber clients for Firefox…

Are there any other servers that would support a SIP

based messenger you know of?

I heard that Microsoft’‘s SIP implementation is as compliant with the IETF specification as their web browser’‘s compliancy with the W3C specs…so, good luck with beating Microsoft’'s lock-in :s The most easy solution is to not use software with lock-in in it. In practice this means that you probably should remove most Microsoft products from your list of interesting software.

There is a lot of virtualization software that you maybe can use:

• wine

• good virtual machines for Linux

• good virtual machines for Mac OS X

• virtual machines to run on a server to serve Windows applictions over the network

One of the extensions we were planning to add to

Spark was integration with Outlook Calendar (and

maybe Lotus notes). Feel free to send us a private

email if you want to discuss any of these

alternatives which may be developed through our

Professional Services department.

Shouldn’'t Mozilla integration have a higher priority?

thanks guys, all understood. However:

I just want a IM server that will support Windows Messenger that isnt LCS. I will keep looking.

Lotus Sametime does or did support afaik SIP.