Working with 2 servers

Hello!

We installed 2 Openfire servers in two differents cities and they work great, each one has it’s own groups and users and all. Then we installed the Subscrption plug-in so we didn’t have to add manually each user to the roster of each other user. We created the groups and made them available to other groups and just added the users from the other server, but something is not right, because one side (one server that is) can’t see the other.

I checked the server to server configuration and added the other server to each one so they can connect, but so far the problem remains. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, K

Hi kazt,

I have something setup similiar to this, so I know that it does indeed work My guess is that the s2s connection is not working. When you go on the admin console, do you see the s2s connection under “/server-session-summary.jsp” page?

daryl

Did you verify the settings on the one that does not work? How about any firewalls, routers and DNS servers in between? Are there any error in the logs of the server?

Hello Daryl,

You know, the ‘funny’ thing is that when I add a user, manually that is, it actually works. The problem is when I want to add users to the groups I have and those users happen to be on the other server. For instance, I just added the user jdoe@192.168.153.239, (that is the other server address, 192.168.153.239) however when I add the same user to a group on my local server (172.31.162.239), something happens and I just cannot see him online on my roster =(

I went to the ‘server-session-summary.jsp’ page and it shows me the connection between both servers, it seems to be working fine.

Thank you for your help

I will keep triyng to figure this out, K

Hello,

Yes, I verified the LAN settings and everything works OK, I can connect to the admin console from this city to the other and from the other city to this one. There are several errors in the log of the server, but it only shows problems to connect to an old test server, anyways here they are:

t org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:205)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:185)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)2008.02.06 10:42:10

org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSessi on(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:258)

Error trying to connect to remote server: 172.31.162.43(DNS lookup:

172.31.162.43:5269)

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:253)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:143)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:205)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:185)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)2008.02.06 10:42:11

org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSessi on(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:258)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:253)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:143)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:205)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:185)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)2008.02.06 10:42:11

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Greetings, K

kazt,

I could be completely wrong here, but I don’t think you can use IP numbers for Jabber domains.

daryl

do both servers have real world Fully Qualified Domain Names (ie server.domain.com) They need this to connect correctly especially if they are behind a router.

really?

oopsy daisy, I will change the ‘domain’ fo the server then, thank you!

mhh no, they don’t, because we have a VPN between those two servers