Xep-85

Hi,

Do Openfire plan to support chat state (XEP-85) for groupchat ?

Only obsolete Message Event (XEP-22) seems to be supported…

Regards,

Michel

XEP-85 does not require server support.

Ok thanks but what about Spark client ?

Latest Spark version does support chat state notifications. You can see them besides emoticon picker (user is typing, user is paying attention etc.). Although it is a client side feature, based on xep explanation i have filed a ticket to add an option to suppress notifications on the server side: https://igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/OF-914

Also, currently there is no option in Spark to disable chat state notifications, but the client must allow users to disable them. There is a ticket open for this and one community member proposed to write a patch for this, but i haven’t heard for quite long from him. https://igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-1616

Anyway, if you just need chat state notifications and do not need to disable them for some users, then you are good to go with Spark 2.7.1.

Spark is not actively developed.

Oh, I’ve just noticed you mention group chat. I can’t test it right now, but i think it should work in private messages in group chat.

Indeed, chat state works fine for 1 to 1 messaging, but for group chat not.

Here is a Spark message sent to a conference :

Hi

Message Event (XEP-22) seems supported but XEP-85 no.

And unfortunately, XEP-22 is obsolete and not supported by other XMPP clients.

I wonder how exactly it can be implememted GUI wise. Showing “typing”, “paying attention” besides every participant in a room. Looks like a huge mess. Unless it can be done with some icons. Still, a room with lots of actively chatting users is already very dynamic and adding flickering icons will add to that dynamic hell. Also, does a user care for a chat state of every participant? In some cases maybe (keep silent until your boss is “typing” ).

I agree with you but other XMPP clients support that.

So although Spark try to initiate XEP-22 by sending :

Hi

its seems that neither XEP-85 nor XEP-22 are supported by Spark in group chat ?

Could you please confirm that ?

Regards,

Michel

I’m not a developer and not very good in xeps, so i can’t confirm it 100%, but based on your observations it seems that Spark only uses chat state for one-to-one messages. I can file a ticket for this, but there are no active developers working on Spark. First part (sending notifications) seems easy, but the GUI part not so. This needs a good java swing developer, but we don’t have one.