Xmpp.domain confusion with connection manager

Hi,

I’‘m attempting to setup a new server fronted by two connection managers but I’‘m running into a bit of trouble. The problem is when I configure my back-end Wildfire 3.0.1 server with the domain my users are accustomed to and I then setup my connection manager with the name of the host that is running Wildfire users can’'t connect. If I change the xmpp.domain on the backend Wildfire server to be the FQDN of the host and have a user login as username@FQDN of host they can login fine via the connection manager. Is it possible to configure the connection manager with both the xmpp.domain and the FQDN of the back-end Wildfire server or do users really need to be logging in as a FQDN hostname?

As a follow-on question is it possible to use a single Wildfire server to host multiple domains? That is users can login as joeblow@domain.com or joeblow@domain.co.uk or whatever their true email address is. The different domains share a single authentication service (LDAP) but on my legacy IM system the users are accustomed to logging in with their email address. These connections would be fronted by the two connection managers of course.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There are some DNS entries you need to put in for the domain so that the connection managers connect to the central server with the correct domain.

You can round-robin the domain name of all of the connection managers AND the server when you use the correct SRV entry for the domain of your jabber server.

Running multiple domains in wildfire isn’'t currently possible (as far as I know).

Hey St0nkingByte,

When using Connection Managers you will have to make sure that domains are correctly resolved. When you are only using a Wildfire server (i.e. no CMs) the XMPP domain of the server needs to be registered in the DNS server so that clients and other servers can easily find and connect to the server.

However, when using CMs the setup is not that simple since server-2-server connection will go directly to the Wildfire server while clients need to connect through Connection Managers. Clients need to perform a DNS SRV lookup (Service of “xmpp-client”) to find out the host and port to connect to the server. On the other hand, servers need to perform a DNS SRV lookup (Service of “xmpp-server”) to find out the host and port to connect to the server. Therefore, what you can do is configure your DNS SRV record (Service of “xmpp-client”) to point to the CM address and leave the DNS SRC record (Service of “xmpp-server”) to point to Wildfire’'s IP address.

That configuration will work fine as long as you are using only one CM per DNS server. That means that if you want to have many CMs in front of Wildfire and you want to use the same DNS server then you will need to balance load in some other way (e.g. load balancers, manual configuration of hosts file, etc.)

Widlfire does not have support for virtual hosts yet. You will need to run different servers for each domain that you want to host.

Regards,

– Gato

Perfect, that is awesome thanks so much for your help.

I am planning on putting the two CM’'s behind a load balancer so this will work just fine.